We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

Hello,

Has any visited Ukulhas and eaten in the local cafes? I know that there is a tourist restaurant but I am interested in knowing if there is decent local fare and if so, what it costs and if there is much variety.We are trying to decide how much local currency we need to bring and meals will be the main expense.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

This is a very new place and a very small local guest house ie about 3 or 4 rooms one of the reviews says, and the only one on that island. The odds of finding someone on here who has used it are quite remote, most people stay at resorts.

I would PM someone who has left a review and ask them. However I would assume costs are very low for food,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

Thank you. I was thinking of doing that. I just thought I would try this method first. I don't expect much of a reply.

I will make an effort to post some information after our visit. I understand that more guest houses are being built.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

Yes more are being built. At the moment it's a very different type of holiday from the resorts,,,ie sharia law applies, swimwear is prohibited on public beaches, the beaches are not pristine, the islands are dry ie no alcohol etc,

On the resort islands these things are relaxed, but of course you have limited interaction with locals other than the resort staff and of course there is nothing else on the island other than the hotel and it's guests.

It would be good for you to feedback as most regulars only go to resorts, as such very limited experience of guest houses, and there is a fair amount of questions about them on here. They are growing in popularity as you point out and it's still very much an immature industry.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

Hi

Personally I would avoid local currency at all costs everywhere in the Maldives is very happy with US dollars and you can use or change back any excess this is not possible with local currency

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

Just had a look at Ukulhas on Google Earth and Wikipedia. It's a decent enough sized island and is likely to have a few cafes and restaurants which will serve very good food which will seem cheap to Westerners. You can get Maldivian rufiyaa at the airport and $150 should be more than enough. As said above they should also accept US dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulhas_(Alif_Alif_Atoll)#Swimming_at_the_beach

http://www.ukulhasinn.com/

6. Re: local cafes and street eats on Ukulhas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 25, 2014