We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

We have booked to go to Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo in July and will be staying in a Beach Bungalow.

The general opinion in reviews is that rooms 300-320 are best positioned.

Does anyone have a map of where rooms are positioned on the island?

What email address is best used to request room number?

Finally, is house reef within the lagoon or outside the sea wall?

Ta

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

You can find a map here:

maldivescomplete.com/maldivesv/…

Ian

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

We stayed in 308 which is right in the middle of the biggest bit of beach.

The house reef is just the other side of the wall, the wall itself being close to the island.

John

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
9 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

Thank You Ian - nice to see the layout

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
9 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

Thanks John

With the reef being in open sea then are the currents strong enough to warrant a snorkelling vest for average-to-good swimmer or would you say OK to not wear one so "ducking down" is possible?

Dave

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

Most people request 301 - 311 as they are by the main beach, but this area does get quite crowded as beachless guests tend to colonise it. The numbers you cite do not include 327 -330, which are by a small patch of sand affording easy entry to the lagoon. We had 329, which, as you can see from the map, is directly by a tiny jetty, ending in a circular platform just large enough for two sunbeds and a sunshade and with a nice view. Get up early and secure it!

If you are not a good swimmer, you definitely need a snorkelling vest, as the currents are strong and getting back through the gaps in the sea wall can be tricky. Or you can use the life jackets provided in each room, which many Chinese guests regard as essential wear even for gentle paddling.

MissF

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

Hi

Ellaidhoo is in a channel and subject to currents. There is a current buoy outside the divecentre which indicates direction and strength so worth watching. We snorkelled the reef quite comfortably without any vests (me being a fair swimmer and OH being a strong swimmer - both of us dive down). Fins are a must.

Email is fom.ellaidhoo@chaayahotels.com.mv

The bungalows numbered 301 to 311 are very popular as they are situated on the only beach area - you would be best requesting a range of numbers rather than one particular room.

H

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
203 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

I agree to request 301-311. We had beach bungalow 309. This was in a great spot!

Agree about the snorkeling vest too. I never had this or never thought to use the life vest and did find getting in and out of the sea wall tricky.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

hi i am going to chaaya reef ellaidhoo end of july and into august this year 2013 i cant wait to get there and snorkel and i will be doing some dives on the house reef i just wondered what the visability would be like can anyone help me i am dying to know thankyou

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

Hi Mkraf

Welcome to the forum.

I have been to Ellaidhoo in March and October (although I was in Fihalhohi one August). The viz on the house reef was good during both visits but much clearer and brighter during the better weather that you usually get in the dry seaon (February to April). During our October visit we had 10 days cloud and rain and with less sunlight penetrating the depths the reef was much darker at depth and the rain put more sand into the water column, very much like our August trip to Fiha, but the viz was still pretty good considering. Perhaps better when diving as you can get much closer to things than you can snorkelling. There were some pretty fierce currents though so check the current stick outside the dive centre and get advice from the staff if in doubt.

You could try sending a pm to someone who has posted a review of their visit in July/August for a better idea,

10. Re: Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo Room Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 15, 2014