We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation for family of 3

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation for family of 3

Other than Carpenter GH and Singgahsana Lodge, can anybody recommend a clean, similar price range (or cheaper) and centrally located guesthouse for a family of 3? Nangadamai looks good but seems a little far from town.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Depends on what is your budget. I liked the Harbour View Hotel which is right downtown Kuching (be careful the street in front of hotel is super busy and difficult to cross if with young child, but otherwise hotel is good and mid-range). I think Harbour View may be directly across from Singahsana, if I am not wrong. If I am correct about Singahsana's location, then Singahsana looks like a nice place even though I have seen the rooms or stayed there -- I just took a peek.

I also have stayed at a budget hotel called Mandarin Hotel -- Chinese-run family hotel, pretty basic, clean and OK for the price. The woman at front desk is very friendly and nicee, but the older man (presumably her father or father-in-law) is grouchy!

I am not familiar with Carpenter GH. Kuching is a small, quaint , charming city. I loved that City. If you are there on a Sunday, visit the Satok Market (I took a cab there). The newly opened Textile Museum is a very interesting place as well. Surprisingly, the Islamic Museum was also very interesting -- I thought it was all about religion but it has much more than that. Enjoy your vacation!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Many thanks PDX for your advise and warning. I was looking for a 2-3 star accomodation or a good, clean guesthouse. I think I will go for the Harbour View, surprisingly it doesn't cost that much more than Singgahsana. Yes, I have heard of the textile musuem, one of the reasons for making this trip, will have a look at the Islamic museum if there is time, the one in KL is quite good. I will also have a Sunday while in Kuching, so there is a chance to see Satok market!

Ettalong Beach...
Level Contributor
26 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Hello, maybe by now you have already left for your trip to Kuching - lucky you, it is one of my favourite cities. If not, I have been to Kuching several times and 2 of my favourite hotels are the Borneo Hotel Jalan Tabuan) and Telang Usan Hotel (Jalan Ban Hok). Both are close to the waterfront. Both are reasonably priced and have very clean, comfortable rooms and restaurants. I have just checked out the Singgahsana Lodge website and feel that these two hotels may be better value for a family of 3.

As the previous correspondent mentions, the Islamic Museum is a must, along with the main museum across the road. Some great places to eat - Top Spot Food Court and See Good Food Centre have the best and cheapest seafood in town. See Lonely Planet Guide for more information. The Khatulistiwa Restaurant next to the Holiday Inn, serves good cheap local food with a slightly Western influence, and there are some good indian restaurants in India Street.... don't miss trying Roti Canai, a Malaysian Indian specialty.

Enjoy!

World
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Don't know when you're planning to be there, but the new Pinnacles opens in February. http://www.pinnacleskuching.com

Their family room (for 3 people) rate seems decent enough at RM108.

Take care.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

redape, I have to say lucky you instead having been such regular to Kuching, this is only my first trip! I will definitely check out your 2 favourite hotels. Thanks for all the recommendation for food, can't wait to try out the sea food. I found out about frozen Roti Canai last year but they might have been around for a while! Hope you have luck finding them in Sydney.

Kch581, we will be there in March. Thanks for the website of Pinnacles, did have a look, yes RM108 for the family room is a very good rate.

Many thanks both for your help and response, really appreciate it.

Kuching
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Seems like Pinnacles Kuching is really centrally located in the heart of the CBD and their website is rather impressive (the "rooms" page is rather interesting I find). Pricing is competitive too!

I would definitely recommend / suggest to my overseas guests visiting the city soon.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Perhaps you have already been to Sarawak now, so this message may be too late. We stayed at Nangadamai two years ago and are going back again soon. It is out of town, but it is in a beautiful area well worth a look at. if you have time. It is very close to the Sarawak Cultural Village which is well worth a whole day exploring. It is also very close to the Holiday Inn Damai Beach where you can get a fabulous and reasonably priced massage. The owners of Nangadamai are wonderful hosts and the accommodation is very clean with fantastic views out to the coast. The guest floor level has ceiling to floor picture windows in the communal seating area. We woke up on our first morning to watch monkeys swinging through trees through our bathroom window!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Hi anothergoodone, thankyou very much for your post. Nangadamai indeed sound like a charming place to me, good to have your confirmation. I have seriously thought about making a reservation, however. we are travelling with our 12 year-old and in their website it states that they don't provide extra bed!? Ah well . . . I have now made a reservation with the Pinnacles, as it's new, the promotional rate is very good. Leaving this weekend!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Hi TSC 18 - thanks for the reply. With regard to Nangadamai, I think they might have allowed your 12 year old to sleep in an adjacent room (which is what we did with our young daughter when we were there). We know the owners though, so we were as their guests, rather than customers.

If you do head out towards the Santubong Peninsular whilst you are out in Kuching, then you could always check it out for future reference. You can't miss it - it has an elevated position up on the right hand side of the road facing the sea, approx 1 - 2 miles before you get to the Sarawak cultural village and Holiday Inn Damai Beach. (Just past two new tall apartment blocks on the left hand side of the road). Their dogs may bark if you turn up, but they are friendly. Hope you have a great trip!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation for family of 3

Thankyou for such a prompt reply anothergoodone and the directions to Nangadamai. Useful to know about the adjacent room. Yes, I'll definitely stop by to have a look at the place if I were to visit the Cultural Village. It might be good for future stay after we have done the various attractions in Kuching this time. Thanks again for taking time to respond, appreciate your help.