We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

We are looking to visit the sarawak cultural visit on one of the 6 days that we are in kuching. I have read about the shuttle bus from the grand margarita. Can anyone pay for this service or just hotel guests?

Also are there any other suggestions of things to do in the area around the SCV whilst we are out and about as I have read we only need a couple of hours at scv. I was thinking of spending the other half of the day at the beach but not sure if damai beach is only for hotel guests. Are there any nice public beaches?

Any info/suggestions.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

The shuttle bus is for anyone. There's a public beach at damai central (next to damai beach resort) which is small but ok. There are some eating places here and a place to rent bicycles too, as well as a bar.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

Do you know if you can buy a day pass for damai beach resort?

Edited: 10:51 am, July 05, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

Yes you can get a day pass to Damai Beach Resort with a minimum fee of RM 3 if i am not mistaken but please bear in mind they are having a huge renovation now so the place can be really messy and also subject to season. I dont think they allow visitors during peak season.

Apart from that, you can consider to take the wildlife cruise at Santubong village but you need to arrange with the tour operator like CPH as the boatman normally dont entertain walk in guests.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

Damai is quite lacking in things to do.

The SCV is quite 'plastic' and not aimed at the european market (read between the lines).

As 'Ang Moh' (white ghost - or tourist) you will be able to use the beach - just walk thru the hotel as if you belong and it is highly unlikely that you will be questioned.

When KR says the beach is 'OK' he is being kind. It is nice to sit and watch the sea for a short while, but otherwise, it is very un-special.

There is a public beach area to the front of the new development (a few hawker stalls, beach side shops and a restaurant/bar) - food is OK - don't expect too much from the rest.

The above is my opinion and others may have different feelings. Just remember, the Damai area is aimed at local people and Asian visitors.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
23 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

I enjoyed the cafe at the Rainforest Resort the most. All of the resorts you can walk to.

Keep in mind no ATM at Damai, and you need RM 10-12/each for the van back.

Kuching, Sarawak...
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

Hi, welcome to Kuching!

You can take a shuttle service to Sarawak Cultural Village from almost all hotel, lodge or B&B in Kuching town area. Just ask for receptionist to help you book the shuttle for you! It cost you RM80 person including the Sarawak Cultural Village Entrance Fee!

In Sarawak Cultural Village, they have Cultural Show at 11.30am and 4.00pm. This show take about 45 minutes.

Near Sarawak Cultural Village, if you want, you can try climbing Santubong Mountain!

I'm NOT recommended Santubong Wildlife Cruise.........

Beach is not high expected at Damai area. If you want to use Damai Beach Resort's beach need to pay RM3 per person, Permai Rainforest Resort Beach is RM5 per person, Damai Centre beach is FREE OF CHARGE!

Kuching welcome you!

Ooo Haa ~~~

7. Re: Other activities/sites near sarawak cultural village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 07, 2014