We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on itinerary

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
UK
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on itinerary

Hi,

First of all my apologies for posting the entire trip schedule on each of the relevant forums but it saved a lot of time and I’m happy for people to provide their opinions on any area of the itinerary, I’m not precious! I like to think I’m fairly thorough with my research but you can't beat local and expert knowledge so I’d be extremely interested to get your feedback on my plans and any recommendations of things to do in addition to those mentioned.

We will be spending 16 nights in Malaysia in September, starting with 3 nights in Singapore. My preferred hotel choice is the Mayo Inn but I would welcome any alternative suggestions in the same price range ( up to S$130 / £70) with a good location. The only thing we have planned so far in Singapore is the zoo including the night safari so would like to know what else is a ‘must do’ for 3 nights in Singapore? We are a couple in our mid 30s and enjoy food, local culture, music and a good night out.

From Singapore we fly to Kuching where we will spend 4 nights at the Limetree Hotel. The activities planned while we are there are Semenggoh Nature Reserve and a night at Bako National Park. I’m thinking of visiting Semenggoh the day after we arrive and then spending our third night in Bako. Again, any suggestions for things to do while we are there would be great. Preferably this would be in or around Kuching as I don’t want to pack too much in and over commit but if there is something I simply shouldn’t miss I’ll be flexible as I probably won’t be in Malaysia again for quite a few years!

After Kuching we will fly to Penang for 4 nights. Hoping to stay at Noordin Mews and just want to enjoy Georgetown, particularly the food and take in some of the attractions that sound interesting in the things to do section on here. Anything that isn’t on there that I should try to include?

We will then be ending our trip with 5 nights in Langkawi. Our 1st choice for accommodation is Sunset Beach Resort and we are planning to do a Kayaking trip with Devs adventure tours and the cable car and Skybridge (if it’s open). The remaining few days will be rest and relaxation which I suspect we’ll need by then!

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Backyard Tour - Day Trips
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Matahari Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on itinerary

Specifically on Kuching, in the city I would allow at least 1/2 day to wander the streets of the old town from Jalan Padungan to India Street. Lots of little shops and sights along the way. Check out the waterfront, Sarawak museum and even reservoir park if you have time. Just across the river is a decent orchid garden however it does not compare with the one in Singapore. A nice morning or afternoon can be spent at Damai beach with a visit to the Cultural Village too. There are shuttle buses that can take you here if you dont have a car.

In Singapore, I like Hangout at Mount Emily - private en suite rooms for around $140 per night inc breakfast and its very clean and friendly!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on itinerary

Your plan looks good to me.

One thing - don't miss out on Kuchings food. As someone who knows both Penang and Kuching, I can happily say that they are both GREAT food destinations.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
225 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on itinerary

We stayed at Campbell House in Penang, absolutely reccommend it, was outstanding.

Must try Char Kway Teow while in Penang, go to "Madam Goggles" stall, she is very well known so just ask anybody they will give directions.

If you like Indian then Kopitiam in Little India, Georgetown is great. Best ever butter naan bread.

Via Pre (waterfront) does a great lunch platter.

Cable car up the hill is good.

Enjoy.

4. Re: Feedback on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 28, 2014