We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

i am planning to go to Bako for a day trip. initially , i plan to go there on our own but after visiting a blog , i am thinking whether should i engage a guide instead...is it necessary to have a guide or we can do the trail on our own? i intend to do the teluk pandan kecil tour to see the sea stacks....

thks

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
208 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

@ octopusmum

While doing research prior to my trip, I obtained this information from one of the postings in this forum (unfortunately can't remember which one). Would suggest that you give Bako Terminal a call at (60) (82) 431 336 (terminal counter at the jetty in Kg Bako where you catch the boat to Bako NP) ahead of your intended trip. I suppose the staff there would probably know best if the Bako boat journey were doable taking into account the tide levels and sea condition on that day.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hey no problem :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hi Lunar Jade,

Thks ! Will do that:)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hi

Just got back from bako this morning. There is absolutely no way I would try to walk to kecil with young kids. Hard trail.

The sea has some swell but nothing I would consider rough. Seems worse going out as you are running into the oncoming swell. Quite nice coming back. Could change in a week or so though.

Sea stack is a dud and not worth seeing.

However, the park is awesome. You can probly have a dip straight off the main beach (usual warnings apply).

Most wildlife can be seen between the jetty and the other end of the main hq area. Really no need to go anywhere off the beaten track. If you want to have a little jungle explore head up the boardwalk on the start of the lintang trail -really easy.

It seems the rain may be getting a little more frequent over past couple of days...but as laksarawak says...who can really tell? Its been stinking hot and sunny as well...

Definitely go. Hang out round the main hq. Chill out at the (surprisingly good) cafe...

Ramjet

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hi ramjet

May I know why the kecil trail is tough for kids? Thanks

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
407 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hi octopus,

the Telok Pandan Kecil trail is tough for kids below six, in my opinion because the path is winding up and down through rocks, boulders, large tree roots, wooden planks steps, some parts you have to clamber on all fours, many rocks are slippery because of moss covers, puddles of water after rains. It's a one and a half hour to two hours (one way) obstacle walk actually. BUT for sport minded people, this is the attraction of the park, and the reward is a fabulous beach at Telok Pandan Kecil. Personally I love this trail.

Or go for the much shorter Paku trail, just half an hour I think, one way,

And about the boat trip to the park HQ, I went last year (January?) , and the swell was scary. We were tossed like a toy boat, it must have been 10 feet high, the swell I mean.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hi octopus,

What laksarawak says. Its quite a challenge for most adults. E.g. just the first section is a very very steep 15 minute climb over tree roots and rocks in a sticky humid forest. Enough to put many off going any further we suspect. Also if someone slips and hurts themselves you still got to get back to hq. And its hot, or raining, or both :)

Cheers

Ramjet

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Hi all

Thks for sharing your experiences. I am having second thoughts about the kecil trail now. Reason for choosing this trail is because of the sea stack. Is there another less strenuous trail where I can still see the sea stacks? Re the Paku trail, what is the attraction? Thks

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
208 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

Have you looked up the Sarawak Forestry website? It is informative and gives brief description of each of the trails in Bako NP including what you would expect to see.

www.sarawakforestry.com/htm/snp-np-bako.html

30. Re: Is a guide necessary in Bako ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 23, 2013