We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to make the most of Kuching as a disabled traveller.

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How to make the most of Kuching as a disabled traveller.

We have 5 nights (4 full days) in Kuching early September and I would really love to make the most of the stay and see things which will give me a real flavour of Sarawak. We are staying at the Hilton but have a budget to keep to so hiring cars for the day will probably be a little out of range. I walk slowly - with sticks but my husband is fine and I dont want him to miss out too much.

Advice on places to see and places to eat would be really appreciated. Tours with lots of people on buses are hard for me as my slow movement hinders others.

Backyard Tour - Day Trips
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Matahari Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to make the most of Kuching as a disabled traveller.

Hi emily h,

I also have a problem with mobility but always enjoy our annual visit to Kuching (it's interesting to note that we'll be in town at around the same time as you in early September).

Your choice of accommodation is excellent as it is at the edge of the 'old town' and not high on a hill... there is much to see and do in Kuching and you're virtually in the midst of things.

When we visit, and don't bother with a hire-car, we taxi a lot: the fare is pretty well standard in town, 12 ringget (less than GBP3)... I suggest that you take one to the other end of town - in the vicinity of the Square Tower - and simply wander around the Waterfront Bazaar and the lanes and alleys where you'll find lots of treasures: tinsmiths, carpenters, et al going about their daily work, goldsmiths and artifact shops a-plenty. You could then return to your hotel by another taxi.

To get an idea of what's on-hand to see in the old town, go to this link that outlines the Kuching Heritage Walk: https:/…kuching-heritage-walk

One trip that I highly recommend you do is the 'Sunset Cruise': once you've embarked you can sit and enjoy the scenery and also take-in the various acts of indigenous entertainment.

Enjoy your trip and some big old guy wearing a batik shirt and carrying a kipas tangan approaches you with "emily?" check first, but it may just be me.

Cheers ツ

Gary

www.maudcameron.com

2. Re: How to make the most of Kuching as a disabled traveller.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 07, 2013