We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Kuching

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
moving to Kuching

hi,

i'm flying into Kuching on the 10/10/11 with the intention to stay for 3 months to see if i want to stay forever.

Firstly, anyone who has moved there permanently and has some friendly tips?

Secondly, where can i get some good, quiet and cheap accommodation for the initial 3 month period?

Pete

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Kuching

send me a PM and I will offer some ideas.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Kuching

hi, i just noticed your comment and i don't think i had responded. sorry if i had not. What do you mean by a PM? i have some temporary accommodation booked for when i arrive but then will want to look for cheaper longer term accommodation through till xmas.

kind regards

Pete

Kuching, Sarawak...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to Kuching

Pete, r u still in Kuching? How do u find the place?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to Kuching

hi, no I ended up being offered a volunteer role in Kenya, Africa. Have been here for 2 months. Will probably come to Kuching next year when i leave here.

Kuching, Sarawak...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to Kuching

I've just moved to Kuching. Interesting place. Let me know when you're here.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to Kuching

Where are you from?

What are you plans in Kuching? I am looking for somewhere where i can buy a home in mountains of rainforest. Not sure if Sarawak has any of that left.

Kuching, Sarawak...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to Kuching

I'm originally from West Malaysia and currently working in Kuching. Haven't got time to explore the land yet, hoping to do that during this coming Xmas holiday. There's plenty of rainforest and mountains here. I was at Gunung Gading a couple of weeks ago but no rafllesia blooming. Sigh.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to Kuching

ok, I hope you enjoy. Please remember me if you find any rainforest properties for sale. I have been trying to email real estate agents throughout malaysia but not having any luck. I am happy to buy anywhere i am allowed to and where it is cheap. I found a beautiful place on iProperties, 45 mins from KL. absolutely what i want, but very expensive. Hope you enjoy your time in Kuching

9. Re: moving to Kuching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 25, 2012