We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in kuching

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
shopping in kuching

Can anyone advise us please. We are going to Kuching for 5 days middle of March and then back to K.L. for 3 days. What we would like to know is do we leave all our shopping until we come back to K.L. (The cheap watches, t.shirts etc)in Chinatown or is some of it ok to do in Kuching??? Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in kuching

We have night markets, electronic malls, places that sell DVD's etc in Kuching. The variety wont be as huge as in KL though. The prices will be similar except perhaps on the watches. My advice would be if you see something and its a good deal to you, buy it.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
179 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in kuching

Shoppping for clothes/watches is best done in KL as that is your last destination. and you will have better choices. You wont want to carry heavy stuffs around too? Just remember to bargain hard! My way? I alwiz check out the first stall on item I am interested... dun asked too much. Just test water. As u walk away, the trader w b shouting(dropping) prices.. dats ur benchmark. If u can get lower than wat d 1st stall offered, U R GOOD!

If u like handicraft, then just buying in Kuching as U cant get in KL.

Welcome to Sarawak.

James

brisbane
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in kuching

Thanks for your helpful tips. Another query. Having been to Bali last April and Phuket in October I know there was a fair difference in the prices of "DVD"s bought at the night markets in both places. Can anyone give me a rough price of them in either KL or Kuching. What is the quality of them like. Bali was quite good aas was most of Phuket. I guess the luck of the draw?????????

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in kuching

Prices for DVD's are from RM 5-15 per disc. Quality varies from awful to perfect. Stuff that is currently in theaters or very new are often awful.(Think camcorder set up in a movie theater).

They also try and pawn some of the bad stuff off on tourists and tell them they cant preview it. You can ask to view quality of discs before purchasing, since many sellers have a tv set up.

Disclaimer: I in no way condone the purchase of pirated material and doing so is violating several laws.

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in kuching

The DVDs we bought in KL were virtually all really poor quality. You could watch them twice before they started to get very faulty.

I had a local with me when I bought them - he did the bargaining etc so the crap DVDs arnt just for the tourists !

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping in kuching

Yeah, the DVD's are pot-luck. Some seems to be very good and clear. others are hazy. The same could be said about DVD's from Thailand. I wouldn't buy any. They also seems to be very into Video-CD.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
179 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping in kuching

Hahahaa... just remember Old saying... Good Thing No Cheap, Cheap Thing No Good. Have a good trip.