We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

The reviews are pretty bad, but we're keen to spend at least one night in the park. We have 2 children (13 and 9) so there are four of us - do you think the Forest Lodge Type 5 or 6 would suit us best? Is one type in better condition and/or better maintained than the other? I guess its pretty hot inside (we'll be there in August) and you can't open the windows because of the monkeys? Anyone got any pictures of the accommodation? Also, whats the food like?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

Food is not so bad - actually, it is very tasty.

Accommodation is simple and basic. The various types of accommodation are pretty much the same (apart from the number of beds)

so a forest lodge is fine for you.

Peoples reviews are often based upon their expectations and thus they give a bad review. If you go expecting a simple and basic hut in the jungle, you will not be dissapointed. There are toilets attached to the cabins and fans in the rooms.

You children will love Bako.

PM me with your e-mail address - I will try to find a couple of photos.

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

Hi,

It's a good place to visit but there is a lot of construction going on right now because of many complaints about the basic existing accommodation. They're building a new "hotel" or hostel or something as an answer to the many complaints. Unfortunately, the noise and work and traffic also drive away the animals. I was there recently and we didn't see any wild boars, we had to walk a distance to get to the proboscis monkeys (where it was quiet). We were very lucky to have seen then.

Please check my album for photos of the cabin we stayed in. It was very hot in it but there were mosquito nettings on the windows so no problem with mozzies. Please do watch out for the notorious macaques though!

flickr.com/photos/…

Food is... well... I've eaten there a few times now and nothing's changed. Let's just say the food is just to fill you up, nothing more nothing less.

Seattle
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

It is a jungle and an adventure - but what a great adventure and experience. Esorlegin has great advice. It is definitely worthwhile staying overnight to not be rushed and be able to experience a full day in the jungle.

The food is okay and filling. Better if you are able to get there when the meal time begins because it is fresher but still fine later. We ate after we arrived and had a late breakfast ~ 10:00-11:00am. It fueled us for the hiking. We mostly ate the noodles and rice dishes.

We were in Forest Type 6 and it was okay. I also have some pictures on my Bako set on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/66889257@N00/sets/72157618296967514/

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

Thanks for the replies, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as some of the reviews! I'm not going to be there until next August - do you think the construction will be largely complete by then? Anyone have any details on what they are building?

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

Hi

I'm planning on going next week. You say the construction is driving alot of the animals away - does this include at dusk aswell?

With the construction work going on would you say its more or less advisable to spend a night there if you want to see the animals?

I have read everywhere that you need to book your return boat on the way out - does this include for the next day aswell?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

Hi

I'm planning on going next week. You say the construction is driving alot of the animals away - does this include at dusk aswell?

With the construction work going on would you say its more or less advisable to spend a night there if you want to see the animals?

I have read everywhere that you need to book your return boat on the way out - does this include for the next day aswell?

Thanks

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

Depends on when you leave - boats go back and forth all the time during the day - BUT, if you want to catch the last bus at 5pm, you need to get a boat at about 3.30 - 4pm

I was there when building work had started - saw lots of animals - and the bloody monkeys still try to steal your food.

Staying for 1 night or more is great fun

8. Re: Whats the accommodation at Bako really like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 19, 2010