We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bako National Park - weather/time of year

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
New Zealand
Level Contributor
438 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bako National Park - weather/time of year

Hi, what's the weather like in January in the Bako National Park - is it an okay time to go?

Thanks, Malcolm

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,655 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

Weather is Ok.

Chance of rain as it is monsoon season - but rain mostly falls late afternoon and night time.

You would have to be very unlucky to get a couple of days of continious rain.

Look here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298309-i9318-k315…

New Zealand
Level Contributor
438 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

Great, thanks for that. I plan on staying there several days, so sounds like I should strike some good weather...

Cheers

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

The wettest months in Kuching are November and December and the rains continue to fall till February. Have a backup plan ready in case you're thrown off course by all that water.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
438 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

Any suggestions for a backup plan? The reason I'd be going to Kuching is to see some jungle (only there for a week).

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

hi Malcolm,

If you don't mind mucking about in the rain, you could still do Bako if sea conditions permit boat travel. However, I'd advise against it. We get continuous days of rain only in the month of December, January and February should see some days with no rain but this is the weather we're talking about so there is no 100% or even a 10% guarantee what's going to happen. Therefore, a backup is wise.

You could do Santubong summit climb although you must turn back if it begins to rain heavily. This is a tough climb past the 300 meter or so elevation mark.

You could also do Kubah National Park and this is easy. There is a palm trail featuring various species of palms which are all found within Kubah, a waterfall trail and a summit walk (paved and easy to do). This park is doable even in rainy weather, just get your ponchos ready.

Gunung Gading National Park may be an option too and you might want to call in advance to ask if there are any rafflesias in bloom just before you head out. The number if I remember correctly is 082 735 714. There are many waterfalls within this park as well as a long hike up to the summit.

You could also google some homestay programs which give an opportunity to be closer to the jungle and the local people/tribes.

Bako and Santubong are leech free. Kubah and Gading have small ones but you won't need leech socks or anything as there aren't that many.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
438 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

Thanks very much for that.

7. Re: Bako National Park - weather/time of year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 29, 2010