We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birdwatching

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
birdwatching

I will be in Kuching from 6 July until 10 July and want to find a guide who can take me out for a full day of birdwatching. Preferably someone knowledgeable about birds, wildlife and plants, but at the very least can just guide me through some good trails at my own pace. Any suggestions?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birdwatching

Hi kajaza,

The Malaysian Nature Society, Kuching chapter has a quite active bird watching group and organises periodical outings for its members. You can contact them at www.mns.org.my or mnskuching@gmail.com

I got this from their weekly article in the Borneo Post. Let me know if there is no response.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birdwatching

Kajaza

Wander over to birdforum.net - there are several forums on there that should prove useful. We've just done 2 weeks with lots of birding in Peninsular Malaysia. We didn't use a guide but acknowledge that we'd probably have seen half as many species again had we done so.

There is a firum specific to Malaysia on the above site and a number of the contributors are also local guides. MSN, as mentioned above, are also pretty good, so might be able to put you in touch with someone.

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: birdwatching

Hi,

Happy birding! the link given by laksa is a good place to start. Contact the MNS. You may be able to help provide some bird data to when you're done with your little adventure. The bird forum as provided above is another good place to start. There's a big tree fruiting and it's a hive of activity with visitors such as barbets to little Blue-Crowned hanging parrots like this one:

www.flickr.com/photos/sarawaklens/2082982318/

hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: birdwatching

Thanks for the help everyone. I am awaiting a reply from MNS (email mns@mns.org.my, not gmail). In the meantime, I've done more research and may just go to Bako National Park and hike around on the trails there if I don't find a guide. Will post any additional info MNS sends me. Lots of bird lists, etc. online so I'm pretty excited and hopeful about seeing lots of species even if I do it on my own.

5. Re: birdwatching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, November 05, 2009