We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarawak to Sabah

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sarawak to Sabah

I am heading to Borneo at the end of September and have 17 days to travel from Kuching to KK, Can anyone recommend any itineraries/trips for solo travellers?

I have looked at tour companies operating out of Borneo and all of them want a minimum of 2 travellers for the trips to run so I am struggling to plan anything in advance. Is it easy enough to join groups when I am out there?

I am interested in trekking, wildlife, culture and beaches!

thanks

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

This is one of the best and complete guide-

sabahtourism.com

Some other post in TA -

tripadvisor.com/…43403741

For solo travellers, try AmazingBorneo tours.

Thx

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

Many things can be done as a solo traveller.

Starting in Kuching you can do the following:

Semmengogh Orangutan Sanctuary (1 hour bus journey or less with private transport) Accommodation in Kuching can easily arrange a trip there for you.

Bako National Park (45 mins bus from downtown Kuching to Bako village) then take boat to park HQ. Not uncommon to see solo travellers here and have met a number on previous visits. Great for trekking and wildlife and away from the HQ, has a really nice remote feel about it. Overnight stays possible - accommodation very basic.

Cultural Village (45m - 1hr from Kuching) shuttle buses from some main city hotels run to Damai beach across the road from Cultural Village. Beach is also quite nice and ok for swimming at times.

Kubah National park (45 m from Kuching) don't have note of bus times but there is a public bus - think its K21. Good NP for trekking and seeing very lush rainforest and some waterfalls. Wildlife is minimal in comparison to Bako. Overnight stays available.

The above could take up six days (if you overnight at Bako and Kubah)

I'd recommend a couple of days to look around Kuching itself. Very pleasant old town, lovely riverside setting and good selection of local food at low prices. Nightlife not too bad either. Plenty places where solo travellers stay in the chinatown area if you wanna mingle a bit.

From Kuching, and if you have sealegs - I'd suggest taking the ferry to Sibu which takes around 4 hrs. Nice views on the south china sea (in good weather) and if you sit on the outside deck. Did this few years back and liked it alot. Otherwise bus or flight to Sibu.

You could spend one night in Sibu but there isn't a great deal to see. I'd then suggest a trip up the Rejang river to Kapit. There are also options to visit longhouses in the area (some of the most authentic ones that remain) but this isn't something I have much experience of so cant recommend any specific ones. However, some people often go further to Belaga or Song and make diversions from there. Anyway, if you just go to Kapit - this can be done in a day from Sibu and is a pleasant boat trip on the Rejang.

Back to Sibu, i'd fly to Miri and bypass Bintulu (next main town en route to KK) as little of interest there. From Miri, you could either go to Niah or Mulu caves. Niah can be done by bus, Mulu is quickest by plane. From Mulu you could fly onto KK direct. Niah, you have to double back to Miri but its not that far. One night at Niah might be enough, 2 or more at Mulu prob worthwhile.

This would take you up to around 14 days (based on Kapit day trip and not further longhouse expidition)

Final few days in KK, for the TAR marine park, time on the beach and the town itself. Appreciate this itinerary is sarawak centric but your end destination is really at the 'start' of Sabah :)

3. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, September 30, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

KR, thanks for that. I'm doing roughly the same thing as the OP, going slowly overland from Kuching to KK via the interesting stuff in between.

Personal opinions like yours based on experience (obviously) are always appreciated. Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

I'm planning the same route for Mid November with roughly the same time frame. That Itinerary suggested by KR sounds great. Do you have to book accomodation for Bako NP and Mulu caves in advance? If so how far in adv?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

Its always best to book the accommodation in advance if possible. Mid november is not a peak period for overseas tourists however is getting on for local school holidays. So basically, once you know the dates you want to stay in each place, try and book as soon as poss to avoid disappointment.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

see if this helps:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298308-i9317-k2…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

Ah yes, that was the thread I was looking for; I'd seen it a while ago and mentally bookmarked (and lost) it. Now I've printed it out, and it's going in the carry-on!

Thanks esorlegin, that looks amazingly helpful.

9. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, February 05, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarawak to Sabah

At least if you're gonna self promote

(WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT BE, ITS AGAINST TRIPADVISOR GUIDELINES)

Do so on the correct forum, for the correct country !! :-/