We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling with kids

finland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
snorkeling with kids

Hi!

Last minute question..should I bring our own gear needed for snorkeling? Or can I buy that stuff at Kota Kinabalu? I quess that adults are not a problem but I have two kids (7 and 9 yrs) with us. I have understood that snorkeling is really good around KK. so I need proper equipment for children-not the play thing. If you advice to get things at KK-please give idea of price level too.

Thanks for your help!

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling with kids

Hi Raha,

You can buy the goodies here, but I wouldn't be able to help on the price as I have no idea.

You can also rent it, but good for you for being keen to buy it, because the level of hygene on the rentals are dubious at best.

There is a Borneo Diveshop in Wisma Sabah, which is where all the dive and tour operators hide out on the edge of town, but there are several sport shops dotted around the CBD that will be able to sell you the required.

Good luck.

finland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling with kids

Thank You Eastofwest!

Saves me the trouble of trying to find the gear here. Not very much snorkeling going on here since it is currently -21 C outside :-)

Do you have a favorite spot or island for snorkeling from Kota Kinabalu? I mean where do you recomend we go with kids?

Raha

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling with kids

Dear Raha

There are 5 islands in the marine park and the best island might be a subjective opinion.

For kids, I would recommend Manukan island simply because it's the most developed island of the lot, which means you have restaurants on hand for drink ands breaks during your day on the island. It also features a BBQ lunch.

The underwater life is quite colourful, but the place is quite busy so it's not without damage.

Sapi is the next biggest island and second most popular by numbers only because it has no fixed infra structure. Tour operators do also do a BBQ lunch there, but other than that you'd have to pack your own drinks and other goodies for the rest of the day. Being not that busy means less damage and even more coral.

The two smaller islands are positively desserted, so if you fancy packing your own picknick bag (or getting your hotel to do it for you), can you while away the day on the best unspoilt coral in relative seclution. You can arrange with your tour operator to drop you off and pick you up at whatever time suits you.

Having said that, although the smaller islands are safe, it's probably better to stick to either of the busier two, just in case of some unforseen emergency like an overly friendly jellyfish for instance - they're well equipped on the islands to deal with this kind of thing.

Hope that makes your choices easier ;o)

4. Re: snorkeling with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 23, 2009