We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Shangri-la in KK ?

NZ
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Shangri-la in KK ?

Hi. My partner & I have booked a trip to Kota Kinabalu in May & now am unsure whether or not we have booked in the best choice of resorts?! Can anyone suggest which is the best of the 2 Shangri-La's ?? Currently we are booked for 4 nights at the Rasa Ria - want to see Orangutans, we love golf & just want somewhere nice & relaxing. Help !

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Shangri-la in KK ?

For the activities you mentioned, I'd stick with Rasa Ria. It's about 30mins north of town, but hey it's a great spot for relaxing. Enjoy!

perth WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Shangri-la in KK ?

Have just returned from Kota Kinabalu,we stayed at the Sutera Harbour Resort,it was the BEST holiday we have ever had, the hotel was wonderful as was the people the food just a fantastic place, there is a golf course at the resort, as well as great pools, Three of my friends & myself are going back there in June I can't wait, hopethis is some help to you good luck.

Cheers

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Shangri-la in KK ?

Hi

Just returned from the Rasa Ria. Fantastic hotel with exceptional staff.

Orangutan just fantastic and excellent golf course. If you want a relaxing peaceful hotel then make it the Rasa Ria. If you want to go into KK then the Tanjung Aru is about 5 mins into town. Beach is great at Rasa Ria and non existent at TA. Hope this helps

Aude, France
Level Contributor
19 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Shangri-la in KK ?

Both are good hotels, but do offer different things.

THe Rasa Ria is well out of town so you are limited as to what you can do, and probably restricted in where you can eat. They do have their own small animal reserve with orang utans etc and as others say is apparently very quiet with a good beach.

The Tanjung Aru is 10 minutes out of town so very good for sight seeing, shopping and eating out. The proximity of KK and the airport doesn't seem to be a problem. The pool area is good, with lots of sun beds, but the beach is about 50 square metres. However the hotel runs shuttle boats out to the various islands of the national park about 1km off the coast, where there are deserted beaches a plenty, and the best snorkelling off the beach I have ever seen.

From your requiremnents it would sound as though you have made the right decision. However, there is a shuttle bus that runs between the two hotels a couple of times a day, so you could book one, take a look at the other and move if you prefer it?

Take a look at www.pbase.com/brian99 for pics of the Tanjung Aru and Sabah/KK generally for a better idea.

Brian

UK
Level Contributor
877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Shangri-la in KK ?

To be honest if your only staying 4 nights its not long enough to go stir crazy at the Rasa Ria even though it is quite remote and your limited to eating at the hotel. The Rasa Ria has the better beach and relaxed location. We stayed at the Tanjung Aru and there were people transfering from the Rasa Ria to the Tanjung Aru as they found the remoteness too much - however they had been staying there for over a week. As a change of scene you could take the shuttle bus and use the Tanjung Aru's facilities

Blackpool
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Shangri-la in KK ?

Just come back from KK, stayed at the Magellan Hotel at the Sutera Harbour Resort. This Resort are very much bigger than the two Shangri Las Hotels and also having an Golf course for their guests. The down side of this Hotel is not having a proper beach, Just a little cove of an beach, and tend to have a lot of cornferences. By the way in this hotel the guests need to proof their handicaps before they are allow to play.

The hotel chosen by you has a decent size beach and I am sure you will enjoy every minutes of your stay.

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu