We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Kota Kinabalu Visit? Should we forget it?

World Traveler
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
December Kota Kinabalu Visit? Should we forget it?

Thinking about visiting KK in early December. All our research says the heaviest rainfall is between November - March. Last year, our trip on Koh Samui in Thailand was a disappointment with continual rain the entire time we stayed there. Don't want another washout of a vacation this year....

I see from forum postings rain in KK is usually confined to late afternoon or early evening. Are all day rains truly rare in KK during this time of year? Last thing I want is to be huddled in a hotel room with a jet lagged 3 year old child after traveling 20+ hours looking out a wet gray skies... (did it last year and it was MISERABLE :)

Interested in being able to be out in the sun by the hotel swimming pool or beach for a reasonable amount of time during our holiday, enjoy the food and do a little bit of shopping. Maybe a side trip to do some touring - as much as we can given the limitations of traveling with a 3 year old.

Should I cast my eyes elsewhere? Not too wild about the idea of Penang - seems pretty built up - and Langkawi on the other extreme. KK seems interesting and worth a visit but is the weather a deterrent during this time of the year.

Thanks for any candid advice you can offer.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Kota Kinabalu Visit? Should we forget it?

I can only speak about my experiences during my three visits to Sabah, one in February, one in May and the third one was November, i cannot remember any days that were rainy for the entire daylight period and i suppose i have spent about a month there in total, the rains do come in the afternoon and freshen things up a bit, I would encourage you to give it a try, my children of varying ages love the place and we enjoy the type of holiday you are looking for...sun, beach, pool, relax

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December Kota Kinabalu Visit? Should we forget it?

Hi Mwong3

I think the chances are good of having more dry than wet on your trip. It is true that all day rain is rare.

It's a good idea, should you encounter rain, to quickly hop on the resort shuttle or taxi and go do your shopping - thus saving on dry time.

I also vote give it a go.

KL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December Kota Kinabalu Visit? Should we forget it?

hi mwong3,

it is hard to say nowdays about the weather , yes, you are right, december is falls under the monsoon season in KK, espeicially it faces the South China Sea. As far as i can remember, even though it rains, it is not that bad... you still can enjoy the sun and laying by the pool...and again it is very much depends on which hotel you are choosing......go thorugh the forum regarding the hotel.. and some actually offers activities in the hotel when it rains to fill up your holidays..... even it rains, it wont rain the entire day.. ... make a trip to KK.. you will like it

4. Re: December Kota Kinabalu Visit? Should we forget it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, August 23, 2009