We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

Melbourne
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

Hi All, while surfing the net I came across mention of a Bingwan golf run on the North Borneo Railway. It apparently consists of a ride on the railway out to a golf club, a game of golf and then high tea on the return leg of the train ride. Has anybody heard of this run, or do they know where I can find out some more information about it. There isn;t any info on the North Borneo Railway site which helped me. Tanks in advance.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

I have travelled on the North Borneo Railway twice and I am not aware of the trip you mention.

The North Borneo Railway is a tourist steam train which travels fro KK to Papar, waits about 1 hour then returns to KK. It goes on Wednesdays a Saturdays. I have not seen a golf course on the trip and there is not time to get a game of golf in anyway.

The only other train is a railcar/diesel that goes from KK to Beaufort and then thru the Padas Gorge to Tenom, several times a day. The reurn trip takes 5 - 6 hours.

I have done this once and it is an interesting trip to see the countryside and get some local atmosphere. The trip is very uncomfortable and hot, but if you are ready to put up with this worth it once.

There may be a way to get to a golf course using this train as it stop frequently on it journey.

For golf and high tea, I would recommend Sutera Harbour on a Saturday follwed by the high tea in Cafe Boleh in Pacific Sutera.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

PS it could be this course they mention.

Borneo Golf & Country Club

Address Borneo Golf & Country Club

Km. 69, Papar-Beaufort Highway

89700 Bongawan, Sabah

Telephone No. +60 87 861 888

Fax No. +60 87 861 333

Email reservation.bgcc@vhmis.com

Website www.borneogolf.com

Holes 18

Yardage 7159

Par 72

Visitors Advanced booking recommended.

Green Fees Weekdays: 200

Week-ends: 300

Course Designer Jack Nicklaus

Location Bongawan

Facilities

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

Hi RelaxedAussie, in total there are six(6) golf courses in Sabah, with five(5) at the west coast of Sabah,viz:-

1). Kudat Golf and Marina Resort;

2). Dalit Bay

3). Karambunai;

4). Sutera Harbour; and

5).Borneo Golf and Country CLub

6).Shan Sui

As bigw, mentioned, your Net surfing could be referring to Borneo Golf and Country Club, situated at Bongawan.

All these golf courses were designed by great names in the international golf circuit, viz:- Jack Nicklaus, Graham Marsh, Ronald Fream, Robert Muir Graves.

In respect of taking a NBR, teeing off at BGCC, then back on NBR, may I suggest you contact KK Tours and Travel Sdn Bhd, as they do great golf packages in Sabah.

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

Hi RelaxedAussie,

The regular schedule, as you no doubt saw, is a run every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday up to Papar and back. Currently, there is no outting like the one you describe.

The train is also available for chartered trips, so could it be what you came across was an idea for such a tour?

If you can let me know where you saw it, I would be happy to follow up and satisfy your curiosity.

5. Re: North Borneo Railway & the Bingwan golf run

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 15, 2009