We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget for rasa ria or tanjung aru

finland
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
budget for rasa ria or tanjung aru

Hi all,

Like many here I also have read a load of KK hotel reviews. So please help!

We are travelling with 2 chldren (7 and 9) and have 13 days at Sabah. I think that we shall stay at Hyatt for 5 nites and do boat trips etc from there.

My main concern is where to book for rest of our stay? Rasa Ria would be our first choice if I only did not have to worry about the budget. I have understod that there are no other restaurants within walking distance from Rasa Ria so we would be stuck with the hotel. Could any one give me an example what we would be looking at money wise? Meaning lunch,dinner, snacks..

Many Thanks!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget for rasa ria or tanjung aru

Welcome to TA raha.

Meals for children under a certain age at Rasa Ria, in the Coffee Terrace Restaurant are free if they are with and adult.

Email the hotel rrr@shangri-la.com and they would be more than willing to confirm the age and provide you with indications of prices in restaurants.

There are two seafood restaurants within a short taxi ride of the RR and these are very inexpensive.

For snacks, I would suggest you get a taxi to take you to the supermarket in Tuaran Town, the Tuaran Superstore, and stock up. He will charge RM60 and will wait for and hour.

As A suggestion, with two children, I think you would find that there is much more for them to do at Sutera Harbour than the Hyatt.

It is a mega resort with 14 restaurants, 5 pools, a ten pin bowling alley, movie theatre etc. To reduce costs, stay in the Pacific Wing. It is a bit older but the rooms are excellent and the staff very helpful.

They run a free shuttle bus into KK every hour (about a 10 -15 minute trip), have direct access to offshore islands from their marina and all tours can be done from there. The Hyatt is not a resort hotel and like any other upmarket hotel in the world.

For things to do in KK have a look at my posting for firsttimetraveller.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget for rasa ria or tanjung aru

hi raha,just to add to bigw,s reply...the buffet dinner in the coffee lounge is about mr75 each,there is a huge variety of dishes to choose from and kids under 12 eat free.

a pizza by the pool at lunchtime is around mr24-mr30.

take snacks with you or stock up at a supermarket when you visit kk.

finland
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: budget for rasa ria or tanjung aru

Thanks for the advice. It is easier to plan with this info. Travelling for a month all together and flying half the globe to get to Malesia puts some strain on my budget..but I am sure that it will be well worth it.

At KK I still feel that its easier to have things next door at Hyatt instead of taking the taxi everytime you want to go someplace. And then enjoy resort life at Rasa Ria without moving anywhere.

4. Re: budget for rasa ria or tanjung aru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 15, 2009