We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cm3
dubai
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

hi, we are 4 adults and i wasn't sure which of these 2 hotels to select, money is not important but nice rooms and bathrooms is must. so please if anyone has the answer to tell me. thanks

and does both of them have sandy beach?

cm3
dubai
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

oh and i forgot to ask whats the best web site to book online for these hotels? what do u think of asiarooms.com ?

melbourne
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

cm3,

We brake our holiday and stay in both resort. Each have different things to offer . Rasa Ria is located a bit further out but more relaxing and friendlier staff. We booked through the resort website and chose to have dinner included as well because we know the place is a bit far from outside eateries. Tanjung Aru on the other hand is more closer to everything and taxies are cheap. Their website offer to beat any other prices from other website so we chose to use them. Hope this help , we enjoy both places.

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

There was a big long discussion about exactly this not long ago:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k692…

I remember reading TA hotel reviews complaining about STAR's small beach. I haven't stayed there.

I was at the Rasa Ria a week ago though, and their beach was fine. Once you leave the hotel property, quite a ways out, it has garbage all over it, but it's spotless on the hotel grounds. The sand is decent quality white non-burning stuff and the water was reasonably clear (by SE Asian standards).

I had read reviews about sand flies and jelly fish at Rasa Ria, but neither were there when we were there.

uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

We stayed at thr Rasa Ria earlier this year, (March) could not fault it in any way. Very clean, good choice of food, Deluxe rooms with seaview recommended. The reception and welcome from the staff very welcome. The beach was very clean although some tourists were bitten by sandflies others managed to escape but that shouldn`t bother you. The gardens are very well kept and spacious and a delight to walk around. The hotel is quite isolated with a very relaxed atmosphere, if you prefer to walk into town then this hotel is not perhaps the one to choose, its 40 minutes by taxi to KK. There is a good choice of excursions from the hotel both half and full days, do as many of them as you can we enjoyed them all especially sepolic, and north borneo railway. Enjoy your holiday.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

Even though the Rasa Ria is about 40 minutes from KK, the town of Tuaran is only about a 10 minute trip in a taxi, some even ride push bikes but it looks like hard work! It is a fairly large regional centre with a wide variety of shopping, local not touristy stuff. There is a fairly large supermarket called the Tuaran Super Store if you want to stock up on snacks, drinks etc. A taxi from RR will cost around RM60 return and they will wait for about an hour.

The resort has a small shop where you can buy snacks, drinks, gifts, sunscreen, shampoo etc but is not a cheap as in Tuaran.

There is aregular shuttle bus into KK but if there are 4 of you it would probably cheaper to share a taxi. Check out the nearby crocodile farm also.

it is worth noting that STAR is not within walking distance of KK city. It is about 4 - 5 km away.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

Rasa Ria has a real big and very long sandy beach, the "beach" at STAR is a joke.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

Hi cm3, staying at RR also has its Nature Reserve (near Tuaran), as there is a "small" version of an Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centres, where the orang utans were from the Sepilok centre(in Sandakan).

And it one is into nature-RR offers six nature trails for its guests- Orang Utan trail, Nature trail, Honeymoon Lagoon trail, Native trail and the bird-watching trail.

Here, at RR, it boasts of 3 km long beach, compared to STAR..hmmm(???), and also an opportunity to take a cruise in a traditional Sabah boat, which locals called the "lepa lepa".

Of course if one is into snorkelling/diving, STAR places one in closer proximity to the paradise marine park-Tuaku Adbul Rahman marine park, consisting of five (5)nos islands, and needless to say closer to KK city.

Both hotels, being under the umbrellaship of Shangri-La does promise nice rooms and bathrooms.

For better sandy beach and longer stretch-RR is a better option.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

The Rasa Ria Nature Reserve is actually on the hotel grounds at the northern end of the resort.

9. Re: Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort or Rasa Ria Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 16, 2009