We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kota Kinabalu Itinerary-need help/recommendations nearby

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Kota Kinabalu Itinerary-need help/recommendations nearby

We will be staying in KK for 5 day next week (the first week of February.) We are adventurous but this trip we want to be able to relax a little, so rather than jumping all over Sabah we have decided to stay in the KK area the whole time. (Wish we had more time, but it just isn't an option!)

We're looking for recommendations for things to do in the area that fit well together. We have looked at the forums, but we're wondering what things would fit together nicely in a day. (At first we were planning on going out to Turtle Island and Lahad Datu - but we don't want to fly again or be on a 7 hour bus.) We dont' mind a bit of a local journey or boat ride though.

So far we are thinking of maybe 4 wheeling in Crocker Range Park and doing some snorkeling nearby - any exact recommendations on beaches? Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to get you started on that type of trek? We do not want to do the camp out option - has anyone done it and come back in the same day without feeling rushed?

We don't have time to hike Mount Kinabalu but I was wondering if they have any type of ride to the top? (Yes, I know that's cheating.) Does anyone know of waterfalls, caves and rainforests that we could see? We really would like to fit in all of those - any suggestions on how to do it best in our time frame?

We want to stay safe and use a guide if we need to - but we sure would appreciate any recommendations/input on tours that were good and reasonable. I read the reviews on Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park and I'm a little confused - it sounds like some parts are good, but others like Sapi are just a trashy mess. Is it a combo of beach and jungle trek - what's the best way to do this area?

We sure would appreciate some tips and pointers from people that had positive experiences, thanks so much!!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kota Kinabalu Itinerary-need help/recommendations nearby

The only way to get to the top of Mt Kinabalu is to walk. You can pay a fortune for a helicopter ride and if you wish to do this I suspect some local may be able to provide information.

If you go to TOP QUESTIONS on the right of the page and THINGS TO DO in the green section at the top of the page you will find a lot of information on things to do.

Mamituk and Gaya are probably the preferable islands.

If you want water falls, true rainforest and caves you will need to go to the mountains and beyond Sandakan.

2. Re: Kota Kinabalu Itinerary-need help/recommendations nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, February 01, 2014
Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kota Kinabalu Itinerary-need help/recommendations nearby

Hi ourdogrocks

if you are just staying put in KK there are a number of things you can do that may appeal

I'm not sure about any hiking for a day you may be able to - best to google or go to TA things to do in KK

we were there in 2013 and did a day trip on borneo boats and beaches - there is a webpage you can look up. You can pick your island, we snorkelled sapi but not off the beach off the boat behind the main part it was pretty awesome!! otherwise you can organise island visits at jesselton on a speed boat that will drop you on the beach. THis is a cheaper way than doing the boat trip we did.

You didn't mention orang-utans but the rasa ria has a small sanctuary(?) attached where you can visit easily in a day.

we also did a trip to klias for a river trip to see the proboscis monkeys. Also I am pretty sure you can do a white water rafting trip from KK, again google or check out the relevant TA page.

I did a jbr on our trip if you want to dig that out and get some ideas of some things around kk

good luck and enjoy your trip :-)

4. Re: Kota Kinabalu Itinerary-need help/recommendations nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 03, 2015