We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions on organising and booking a climb of Mt Kinabalu. I'm having all sorts of trouble wading through all the information on the net.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Have you read this: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298307-d482160/Kota-…

or read any of the JBR/trip reports???

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
36 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Hi WE went last July. Book early to get exact dates you want (ie about now!!) as gets very busy and only certain amount of roomsto stop overnight in, and unless you are super fit you will not be getting up and back in a day. A lot of companies and Sutera Sanctuary lodges who operate in the park want you to book a 2 night stay with them including the climb. This we found to be outrageously expensive for staying in a dorm room...So I found a hotel (strawberry garden hotel, about 10 -15 minutes from base, basic, friendly and saved a drive from KK the morning of climb) and contacted 'amazing borneo travel', saying we wanted the 1 night package staying on mountain, and for them to book us into Strawberry garden for the night before and after. Amazing Borneo were very good, they advertise set 'tours' and did our bit either side. We figured it saved us some money as it is a very expensive walk. Also there were 4 of us (family) and Amazing borneo picked us up from hotel morning of climb, sorted guide, passes, pack lunch and the guide was just for our group, some people on their own had a guide to themselves, so not put together with strangers.. You are not allowed up mountain with out guide, pass booking etc. Amazing borneo were good at answering emails and paying by credit card was ok. Fantastic climb, I would love to go up again, but the down would put me off, that was a killer! Take walking poles!! (and some of your own snacks, food was excellent, but you need ALOT of energy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Hey. I am climbing it in 2 weeks. We booked through Sutera Sanctuary Lodge. It seemed to be one of the less expensive options, and this is the group that owns the lodges on the mountain. I can give you more information in a month when I am back from the trip!

Southampton
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Yes please! I am going in August. Booked direct with Sutera. Looking forward to know how you get on.

Adj

Edited: 8:49 am, January 18, 2014
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Unfortunately the content of the link mention in post 1 by TN007 has disappeared. It had detailed information on processes for climbing the mountain.

I am working with TA to try and see what has happened and get it restored.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Adjmeister.... Out of interest can you advise how much you paid? I am in the process of booking with Sutera for August now. How did you pay?

Edited: 4:15 am, April 04, 2014
Southampton
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

I paid 792 MYR per person.

That is for 2 nights. One night at Kinabalu park hostel and one night at Waras hut dorm (half way up the mountain).

That was emailing directly to Sutera sanctuary lodges.

Adj

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Ah thanks. I'm doing 2 days 1 nt @ 596RM

But it doesn't include; Entrance Fee to Kinabalu Park, Return shuttle Park to Timpohon gate, Mt.Guide and Certificates are not included for above price which payable to Sabah Park upon arrival in cash term only.

Assuming yours had all this included?

I may go for your option then :-S gosh decisions.

Southampton
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

No that's right. You have to pay for the extras you mentioned on arrival.

Also travel between KK is not included.

Adj

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Additional charges can be found here

mysabah.com/wordpress/…

also check this link

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298307-c45588/Kota-K…