We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and jelly fish in Sabah

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Beaches and jelly fish in Sabah

I am travelling to Sabah in March and am thinking of staying at either of Shangri La Tanjung Aru or the Nexus Karambunai. I have heard that there are jelly fish in the waters in Sabah. Does anyone know if they are present in the water at the two resorts listed, and if they are present all year round. Also, if anyone can let me know what the beach at the Tanjung Aru is like, it would be most appreciated.

Wakefield, West...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and jelly fish in Sabah

From what I know and have seen on the website - the beach at Tanjung Aru is quite small but with lovely views over the coral islands and with great sunsets. Sorry can't help you re the jellyfish!!

UK
Level Contributor
864 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and jelly fish in Sabah

The Tanjung Aru hotel has a man made beach area. I never saw anyone swimming in the sea when we stayed there - your not far from KK and a nearby kampong so maybe that put people off. What people did was to take short boat journey from the hotels to nearby islands in the marine park. These had good beaches with snorkelling over the nearby coral reefs. We went early Feb. did not any jelly fishes in sea.

uk
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and jelly fish in Sabah

Hi,

The beach at tanjung aru hotel is small,but the swimming is okay.

The islands are far better,with crystal clear waters.We were there in april,and saw several small jellyfish,but we were not bothered by them,however my husband did get a nasty sting,while swimming at monkey beach,penang.