We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanjung Wing

Fremantle
8 posts
Save Topic
Tanjung Wing

Does anyone who's stayed at the STAR remember if you can see the pool from the room balcony? Does the fridge in the room have a Freezer compartment?

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanjung Wing

Hi Deez1, firstly, the fridge does have a freezer compartment.

Which particular room category in the Tanjung Wing of STAR, that you are booking into?

Fremantle
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanjung Wing

Hi, it is a Tanjung Delux Room

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanjung Wing

Hi Deez1, I called STAR and was told view from Tanjung Wing Deluxe room balcony is the wide vista of the azure blue ocean water, the pool is at quite a distant, and in the foreground are coconut trees and other miniature structures which may obstruct a full level view of the pool.

Fremantle
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanjung Wing

Thanks mKiara

you are truly a local expert!

A few more questions:

Is there a good mobile phone coverage around the STAR?

We where thinking of taking a mobile phone and buying a prepaid sim card. Which phone company has the better coverage, is it Maxis? Are prepaid sim cards readily available and where?

After settling into our rooms (3 Families) we intend to go Supermarket shopping to stock up the fridge. Which one of the two big Supermarkets has the wider selection?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanjung Wing

Hi Deez1,

I personally use Maxis, and find no problem with coverage-transmitting and reception in parts of Sabah, which of course includes areas around STAR. However, I have been told that Celcom has the widest coverage in Sabah.

The best way round this, is enquire with stores selling Maxis and Celcom prepaid SIM cards, and if you are only going to be around STAR areas, and which SIM cards has better value, go for that one.

Apparently, KK Plaza has the largest numbers of cellular phones shops, where prepaid SIM cards will be widely available. Nonetheless, upon arriving at the airport, look for bookstores vendor or convenience stores, where you could also purchase the prepaid cards.

I gathered you are a very experienced traveller, when you mentioned, getting out to a supermarket to buy things to stock up the fridge, something that I do often. One can luxuriate, but not to be foolish, when outside a can of coke is selling for RM1.50 (say as an example) and the same can of coke is selling for RM8.00 or more from the hotel mini bar. There is alot of savings that can be done, and chanelled to other avenues, even buying a lime and adding a slice to the coke for that zest.

Okay, since we are in the same boat and mindset, when I am in KK, I will head to either CentrePoint (adjacent to the regional bus terminal) or Karamunsing Complex to stock up the fridge in the hotel room.

Nothing like a cool beer, whilst sitting outside the balcony with the fan blowing and with a good book or my laptop.

Of course, also at KK Plaza, which is adjacent to the City central market.

Mentioned in this post
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
Fremantle
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanjung Wing

Thanks mKiara, you are a world of information, and yes, I can already taste that cool beer, sitting on the balkony...

I think thats it, all we have to do now is, to hop on that plane tomorrow night and get there.

I'll leave some feedback in this forum during and after our stay

See ya

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanjung Wing

Hi Deez1, it has been my pleasure. Do have a great time in Kota Kinabalu and enjoy your stay at STAR.

Do make some time to visit the marine parks at Pulau Manukan, Gaya, Sapi and Sulug.

In STAR, there is a well known, reputable travel agent which you could check out and see something you fancy.

Bon Voyage and Welcome to the Land Below the Winds.

Mentioned in this post
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia