We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming family trip to KK

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Topic
Upcoming family trip to KK

As I'm travelling with my 3 kids (17, 14, 9) to KK for 8D7N in mid October, looking for a reliable local tour company to book our day trips.

1. Anyone with experience with Excellence Eco Tours / Sabah You / Sabah Booking?

2. Is the Mengkabong sea village a worthwhile sight?

3. Is Centrepoint Mall within walking distance to Gaya Centre Hotel? where can i get the shuttle schedule to RRR?

4. If we're leaving @ 15:35 on a Saturday, would it be pushing it to visit the North Borneo Railway that same morning? I've read the ride finishes around 13:30 @ Tanjung Aru Station, is that quite close to airport?

5. Any other good advice or highly recommended sights or eateries?

Best regards & many thanks in advance for your time.

Mentioned in this post
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
Gaya Centre Hotel
Gaya Centre Hotel
616 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
North Borneo Railway
North Borneo Railway
615 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Tanjung Aru Beach
Tanjung Aru Beach
295 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming family trip to KK

1) Sorry can't helap you with tour agency recommendations as I usually DIY / arrange things myself.

2) Mengkabong village consists basically of timber houses built on stilts over the river estuary belonging to Bajau fishermen. Not sure whether it is "worthwhile" but for tourists from abroad it may be an eye-opener to see how people in other parts of the world live their life.

3) Centrepoint is about a 1.2km walk from Gaya Centre Hotel. As an alternative, the Suria Sabah mall is opposite the Gaya Centre Hotel and Wisma Merdeka behind it.

Not sure what you mean by RRR? If its the Rasa Ria Resort, the shuttle times are posted on their website.

shangri-la.com/kotakinabalu/…

4) I don't think you should risk taking the Railway on the same day as your departure. But that's just my opinion.

5) Well. if in KK, should of course try and visit the Kinabalu National Park and the islands of T.A.R. Park, if just to say "been there, done that".

Happy planning :)

Edited: 10:31 pm, September 14, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Gaya Centre Hotel
Gaya Centre Hotel
616 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Suria Sabah
Suria Sabah
374 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming family trip to KK

Dear Jadamros:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I read somewhere that there is a tour where you can visit with one of the sea villagers for a while and actually see how they live by more than just touring past the stilt homes. The trip would also include a stop at the Tauran Sunday market. But then again, others have said the tour doesn't exist anymore???

The tip about the Wisma Merdeka is great since I think Rosa Ria Resort has a pickup point as well.

Am planning to visit the national park, river rafting, Weston wetland, snorkeling as well. Afterall, we do have basically 6.5 days in KK.

A couple more questions please ...

1. Lok Kawi Wildlife Park easily accessible by taxi? approx. fare?

2. City sights (city mosque, foundation bldg.,Chinese temple) within walking distance? perhaps do that on the morning before we leave rather than rush the North Borneo Railway.

Thanks again for your time.

Best regards,

Mentioned in this post
Lok Kawi Wildlife Park
Lok Kawi Wildlife Park
690 Reviews
Penampang, Malaysia
North Borneo Railway
North Borneo Railway
615 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,369 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming family trip to KK

The Sea Gypsy village you heard about is probably Kg Penambawan out past Tuaran.. It is no longer there as the people have been moved onto the land. This has been occurring a lot and there are not many left.

I don't recommend Lok Kawi as it basically a zoo and I am not a lover of zoos.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming family trip to KK

Mengkabong is a different water village from Penambawan. Was still there 2 years ago when i visited. Don't know the current situation.

1. Lok Kawi you need to have your own transport. Negotiate for a taxi to take you there, wait for you and take you back.

2. The city sights are spread out and not walkable. Again need transport.

5. Re: Upcoming family trip to KK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 17, 2014