We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

We are thinking of flying into KK end of Sept., having a day or two to explore the city and do activities, and then head to Shangrila Rasa Ria for 5 days on the beach, including visiting the orangutangs. Before we head to the resort, we are interested in wildlife, a slice of culture or roaming some interesting streets and sampling local food. If attractions are conveniently "on the way" we could take them in... such as mosques. Any high recommendations for what would conveniently work for us would be appreciated.

The Tabin Wildlife Reserve sounds pretty neat - would this be recommended with a 2-yr-old who is fairly adventurous. I haven't found out how accommodations work there. And is the wildlife still plentiful at this time of year.

The Green Connection also sounds interesting, but I'm a bit put off by the descriptions of how run down it is.

Thanks for your help... I'll take any advice you can give.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

How long is your intended overall stay?

The Tabin Wildlife reserve is at least a 3 day trip from the other places you mention.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

oops... yeah, I just realized that Tabin is too far. I was under the impression it was right near KK. Scratch that. Okay, we have booked our flights now and we will arrive in KK on Tues Sep 24 at 11:00 a.m. and need to fill the rest of that day and book a one-night stay somewhere in KK. We have the next morning free, and then we will head to the Rasa Ria resort. So, total time available is one afternoon, evening, and morning. Any suggestions for what to do and where to stay? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Oh, and is the best way to get from KK to Shangri-La Rasa Ria by taxi?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Yes a taxi is the best way. Should cost RM 80 each way. Also you will need to book in advance to be sure of getting to see the Orang U Tan as numbers are limited and in high demand.

The cost for non Resort Guests is RM 65 each. All the money ggoes to rehabilitation programs.

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k361…

Why don't you go to the morning session at Rasa Ria and spend the day making use of the resort facilities, beach etc.

For other ideas of thing to do see

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298307-s407/Kota-Kin…

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

How about Lok Kawi wildlife park in the morning? I don't recommend The Green Connection.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Thanks, people! Thanks for the tip, Nurhazlina... have you been to Lok Kawi wildlife park? How does it compare to the Green Connection?

BigW, yeah, we are going to stay at Rasa Ria for the rest of the week, so the first day in KK we want to spend elsewhere. How far in advance should we book our Urang-Utan visit if we are resort guests?

Further on our itinerary, this is what I'm thinking now:

11:00 flight arrives

Get to hotel (still haven't picked one yet), check in

Lunch

Unwind, maybe let our daughter nap

3:30 Green Connection Aquarium (4:00 feeding) ... or Lok Lawi wildlife park, now that Nurhazlina has suggested it... will have to check into this.

Stroll Tanjung beach area and sample treats from local food stands

Simple dinner somewhere

If near Tanjung Aru Perdana Park see the fountain and playground around 7:00

Filipino night market

Home to bed

Wednesday, Sep 25

Breakfast

9:20 a.m. pick up for Mari Mari Cultural Village, includes lunch

2:00 ish return to hotel in KK, pick up luggage

Go to Rasa Ria by taxi

Any changes you would suggest?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

I would give Lok Kwai a miss as it is basically a zoo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Thanks... yeah, I think we will skip the wildlife park (zoo). Any suggestions for an inexpensive hotel walking distance from an interesting area to stroll through (i.e. with food stalls, a Malaysian "feel")> We are splurging on Rasa Ria resort later, so our one night stay in KK is going to be on the cheap side. Convenient location for walking is most important. We will probably take a taxi to the Green Connection, so proximity to that is not as important, I guess.

sabah
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Hi, there are some inexpensive hotel whereby walking distance to Filipino market eg Imperial Boutec, Celyn City hotel 3 star, or D Borneo , Seri Borneo located at sinsuran.

I would suggest that when u finish ur Mari Mari direct to Rasa ria check in and this will save you some money and time. Bring your luggage together.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary help - 2 adults, 1 2-year-old

Mari Mar Culture village is a great idea for a morning- I visited there in March with my 7 year old son and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We did go to Lok Kawi and it depends what you are looking for really. My son enjoyed it, but it is basically a zoo and a lot of the enclosures are too small for the animals. We didn't go to Green Connection, we were put off by all the bad reviews. Sabah museum is worth a visit and only a short taxi ride out of town.

If you are happy with a backpacker hostel for your night in KK I would recommend Lavender Lodge. It's a nice little hostel, friendly and helpful staff who were amazing with my son. There's a food court place over the road and it's only 5 minutes walk from the waterfront and the night market and all the delicious goodies that has to offer!