We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

Staying at Tanjung Aru for one night before Mt Kinabalu climb. Would like to eat away from hotel any recommendations? Have seen Burger Bakar at Tanjung Aru plaza, that looks interesting does anyone know if it's any good. Also is there a supermarket at plaza to stock up with supplies for trek?

west australia perth
Level Contributor
627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

G,DAY.

There is a supermarket called sunnys on the main road where you can stock up.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

Okay..food..here it goes.

If you like Korean, there is one located just by the entrance of STAR.

Walk further down the beach you'll find Tg Aru Beach 1 where you can find plenty of local stalls, you can get snacks like corn, steam peanuts, dry squid, etc.

At Beach 2, there is a Restaurant that serve good steamboat, WindBell Restaurant.

If you don't mind walking a little further, you'll get to Tg Aru town, here you can visit 2 chinese restaurant that serve GOOD Peking Duck. 1 named "King Hu" 1 Name "Yi Ping Xiang".

Have not tried Burger Bakar though.

Nickie

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

I like the food court at 1st Beach.

What's the new place between Waikiki and the airport Sabah_Girl? Table #1? I've heard good things about there too, but I haven't tried it.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

Hi Nurhazlina,

Yes, that's Table No.1, i have not tried it too. But heard good review from my mum's friend.

Will try it out one day and review on it!

Cheerz!

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

Hey thanks for the info. So do we walk along the actual beach to get to these places ? And which direction do we go? I'm assuming opposite direction to Sutera Harbour ( so hit the beach & turn left ? ). Also approx how far is it to walk ?

Thanks Roz :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,779 posts
5,799 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

>>>>>Walk further down the beach you'll find Tg Aru Beach 1 where you can find plenty of local stalls, you can get snacks like corn, steam peanuts, dry squid, etc.<<<<<

YES, YES, YES..... This food hawker area is a great place to get some very nice food that is very cheap compared to dining at the Shangri-la restaurants. We have enjoyed meals here several times in past years, loving light rice based dishes, satay and other dishes. This place was our favorite place to get some local grub during both of our visits.

We even watched a hornbill flying around during the second visit that was quite enjoyable.

Have a great time in KK and enjoy the local dining.

London, United...
Level Contributor
737 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

Hi,

As mentioned above, the food stalls on the beach are GREAT! (Stall no. 12 was my favourite). We ate there most nights. One night we decided to eat at the Shangri-La - it was disappointing so the next night we went back to those stalls! We even ate lunch there some days. You could choose the fish you wanted and get it cooked to your requirements. Lovely! Jose was great and even wrote out the recipe to m favourite dish for me when I was leaving. Stall no. 11 does an amazing mango drink. I'm going now as my mouth is watering just thinking about that place....

8. Re: Food recommendations near Tanjung Aru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 25, 2014