We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

I was thinking that Kota Kinabalu would be a good place to go on the annual out of Philippines trip for a person living in the Philippines on a tourist visa

I went to a travel agent in SM Mall Cebu City today and they said the cost was usd $370. I thought that was way too high.

Does anyone know of any cheaper deals?

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

Hi Big Jim

If you can get a cheapy flight to Manila, you can fly from Clark Airport (CRK) direct to Kota Kinabalu on AirAsia (airasia.com).

I took the liberty of a quick price check for you and from 5 to 16 July you're looking at 6460 Pesos, which includes the 1600 odd Pesos airport taxes you'll have to fork over in Manila. The total is roughly US 120, so just add whatever you got from Cebu to Manila.

I choose July, because it's peak season everywhere, so a quieter period would probably be even less.

Hope that helps.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

Thankyou for the information.

It is very helpful.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
788 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

Hi eastofwest. This is unrelated to what Big Jim Sebu has been asking But I have a question that perhaps you can answer. I went on airasia site the other day to check flights from KK to Clark. A pop-up reminder says , among other things, that you need a sponsor letter from someone in the Phillipnes if you are going on tourist visa. Now how does the Philipine govt expect a person to get a sponsor when he or she has never been to that country ? Anyone, that can enlighten me ?

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

CTMEW wrote:

A pop-up reminder says , among other things, that you need a sponsor letter from someone in the Phillipnes if you are going on tourist visa. Now how does the Philipine govt expect a person to get a sponsor when he or she has never been to that country ? Anyone, that can enlighten me ?

-----------------------

Hello

I can answer this.

You don't say what country you are from. However for most people in the world, NO sponsor will be required.

Most people in the world can arrange a 59 day toursist visa in advance at the nearest Philippines embassy,

or

Provided you have an onward ticket to another country and a passport with a 6 month validity, people from most countries in the world get a 21 day stamp in their passport on arrival arrival in the Philippines.

If you intend to stay longer than 21 days, you can arrange an extension at the nearest bureau of immigration. The first extension is for 38 days. Extensions after that are 2 months at a time. You can keep extending until you have been in the Philippines for a year. If you are in the Philippines for more than six months, you need permission to leave in the form of an emigration clearance certificate.

Normally you can read all about this at my website but some criminal has been using the same server as me and the hard disk of the server has just been subpoened for a court case.

When the server is up again, hopefully by the time you are reading this message, you can read tourist visa information here. There are also links to other useful information:

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/visas.htm

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

Hi ctmew,

Big Jim is obviously in the know.

In light of his server's harddisk making a court appearance, you can verify his good info on this official website:

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/visa.asp.

If AirAsia has a popup about it, perhaps they've just had some sort of difficulties with certain passangers and warn as a precaution.

A "sponsor's letter", from my dealings with other countries that require stuff like this from certain nationalities, can also mean a confirmed hotel reservation, for instance.

If it'd make you feel better, give the Philippine Embassy a buzz (or AirAsia) to find out what it's about.

Then let us know.

6. Re: Best price - Cebu to Kota Kinabalu and return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, August 12, 2009