We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gaya Island accessible by public boat at Jesselton Pier?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macau, China
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Is Gaya Island accessible by public boat at Jesselton Pier?

We plan to go snorkeling (with young kids) at Gaya Island and are wondering if we can go there by ourselves instead of joining packed tour.

Also, when snorkling is concerned, which of the following islands is the best for amateurs?

Sapi

Manukan

Mamutik

Gaya

Thanks.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gaya Island accessible by public boat at Jesselton Pier?

Yes, it can be done by yourself. Poceed to Jesselton Point to purchase your return boat transfers and Jesselton terminal fees. Island entrance fee is payable on the island. I would recommend either Sapi or Mamutik for snorkelling.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gaya Island accessible by public boat at Jesselton Pier?

I just came back from KK a few days ago. I stayed in the Gaya Island Resort and was told that it was not accessible by other boats but just the resort one, which is quite expensive. Not sure about the case for other parts of Gaya Island.

For snorkeling, I did it at Gaya Island, Sapi and Manukan.

Sapi is definitely the best out of the 3. I reached Sapi around 3:00 pm and there weren't too many tourists (heard that it is normally very crowded in the morning). Saw lots of fishes in various species, some live corals and some Nemo clown fish too.

Gaya Island comes as 2nd after Sapi and there's actually not much to see in Manukan.

Didn't have time to visit Mamutik.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Gaya Island accessible by public boat at Jesselton Pier?

I agree with FKD...Manukan is overly commercialized and Gaya, depending on which part of the islands some area are pretty and snorkeling have.But, a word of caution on Gaya, I would not venture too far from the resort area. While there are a lot of changes and developments to the island to improve security and accessability, there still area which even local Sabahan won't venture to. Gaya, many years ago, was a haven for undocumented(ha...PC here) foreigners.

For boats, I would head out to the pier and ask around those speedboat operator, I'm sure you can get someone to take you to Gaya for a fair price.

I can't remember exactly how much I paid but I had a package for all 5 islands for a reasonable price.

As for the best place to snorkel, SAPI used to be my favorite spot but nowadays it's so crowded. I went over to Mamutik for the first time late last year and the place was virtually empty.

4. Re: Is Gaya Island accessible by public boat at Jesselton Pier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 08, 2013