We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please can I have your thoughts on what I want to do?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
156 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Please can I have your thoughts on what I want to do?

Hi there,

I am travelling solo to KK arriving 24th Dec and leaving 1st Jan.

The top priority for me is to see the Orangutans and I had decided that I would go to Rasa Ria for this but I read somewhere that over Christmas non-residents are unlikely to get in. Does anyone know if this is the case? Because I would otherwise have to go to Sepilok which will take more arranging.

Once I have that sorted, I can then focus on my second priority which is to see the fireflies. I read that Klias is a better place to go for this and did find a trip with Oibtours. However, looking at the calendar, I will be there a few days before and after the full moon and I heard that it is less likely to see the fireflies at this time. Should I then change my plan and go to Garama with Divedownbelow because I may then have the chance to see other wildlife?

Other things I want to do is a Culinary trip with BorneoEcotour, a day trip Trekking / Snorkelling with Divedownbelow, plus the Monsopiad Cultural Village and a trip on the north Borneo railway also took my fancy. Would anyone recommend NOT doing any of these?

Many thanks for your opinions.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please can I have your thoughts on what I want to do?

Garama and Klias are actually part of the same river system. OIB actually operate Camp Garama. I have done both and found Garama to be more interesting. They use smaller boats and you can get into more places than on Klias where they use a big boat.

As for Orangs at Rasa Ria check this link as it gives detail on how and when to book.I would suggest you book as early as possible up to 72 hours before going.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k361…

If you plan for a day trip to Sepilok it is a very long day. You have to fly from KK to Sandakan on an early morning, then get transport (Taxi) to Sepilok and then catch a flight back. You need to also factor in the cost of air fares etc into the trip.

I have been to Sepilok and I found three problems

There were a lot of visitors (over 100 I would guess) and it was very crowded on the viewing platforms. You are also not guaranteed that you will see Orangs as they well progressed in rehabilitation and are semi wild. You do not get very close to them.

I have done both the Railway and Monsapiad and found them both interesting.

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please can I have your thoughts on what I want to do?

Looks good to me.

On the fireflies,

OiB will include you in a big group. DDB will give you a more personal tour.

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please can I have your thoughts on what I want to do?

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will email Rasa Ria a few days before I arrive and hope for the best. Also, I will book the firefly river cruise with DDB.

4. Re: Please can I have your thoughts on what I want to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 18, 2013