We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kota Kanabalu c bali

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
kota Kanabalu c bali

Hi

We are planning a 7 day trip to KK late january but people are saying why not go to Bali. Heard there is a lot of rain there at that time. Has anyone been to both destinations: we like seeing different things, not just relaxing. Is KK reasonably in expensive to eat and drink and travel around? Any suggestions welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kota Kanabalu c bali

KK is avery cheap place to eat if you use market stalls and local restaurants. Local transport, including taxis, are also very cheap. Particuarly busses. Drinks are expensive compared to Bali.

It is worth noting, that as far as social life goes, KK and Bali are very different and you will not be bothered by people continually trying to sell you various things.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kota Kanabalu c bali

Thank you so much for your quick reply! Very helpful.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kota Kanabalu c bali

Hi,

I live in KK and I've been to Bali.

I find that food are cheap in KK compared to Bali, and with lots more varieties, although I agree with bigW that alcoholic drinks are expensive. Travel is about the same. I find I like Bali for the very touristy aspect of it, a cliche of an island with ppl walking around in bermuda, bikini, swimsuits, or beach wear with huge hat and flipflops, with surfers carrying boards everywhere and most beach filled with huge umbrella and ppl suntanning, and I've seen some of the local girls walk around wrapped in batik sarong with flowers in their hair.. Everything is especially made for tourist...but it gets tired fast, and I really dislike the aggressive nature of the sellers. But their Temples are amazing.

Whereas KK, you have to realize that although Sabah is known for eco-tourism, wildlife and nature, KK is a capital city, and you will find that its similar to most big city but with a calmer, slower and very laid back pace with less people. its mostly a business city with lots of modern facilities and local hotspots and attractions like night markets, food markets, cheap seafood restaurant, clubs, islands and waterfronts. If you venture outside of the city, there's a lot more nature/wildlife destinations choices to pick.

But ultimately, its your choice of what you will consider interesting and exciting. Happy travelling.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kota Kanabalu c bali

…blogspot.com/2012/12/kk-food-guide-for-tour…

I'm currently writing an article on places within walking distance in KK - this is just one of the first restaurants in the article. Do check it out :)

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kota Kanabalu c bali

…blogspot.com/2012/12/kk-food-guide-for-tour…

Part II of the series - Where to eat within walking distance in KK City Area :)

6. Re: kota Kanabalu c bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014