We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KK Holiday in August - General queries

Perth
1 post
Save Topic
KK Holiday in August - General queries

Hello All

We will be travelling to KK and staying at the Sutera Harbour for 10 days in August. This will be our first trip as we have been regular Bali travellers. Can anyone advise if Malaria Tablets are necessary? Also if ayone has any information on our hotel it would be greatly appreciated as the web site has very limited information - dalvic2@bigpond.com. If anyone has any specific information on great restaurants, things to do, car rental etc it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - can't wait to go

Vicky

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KK Holiday in August - General queries

I tried to email you at the address in your message but it bounced back. Is that the correct address?

So hereit all is

There are two web sites. This is the one to look at www.suteraharbour.com/new/.

I have stayed at Pacific Sutera 3 times in the last 3 years, last in March this year. I prefer Pacific Wing because all the restaurants and the lobby are air-conditioned which some restaurants and the lobby at Magellan are not.

The rooms are comparable. The only disadvantage is not many rooms at Pacific have balconies. You can use all the facilities at both wings and the Marina Club. There is a Shuttle Bus to get around the resort. (It is HUGE).

There is also a shuttle bus into KK every hour, both are free. It is also very cheap to take a taxi into KK MR10 ( about $A4).

I have always used Malaria Tablets. Better to be sure than sorry. My doctor prescribes Doxycycline.

I love the evening buffet at Cafe Boleah with a huge variety of choice and very cheap compared to Australia. Silk Garden is great for Chinese food.

Things to do!

GO see Wildlife Borneo Expeditions, or exotic Borneo Travel Management.

They can organise tours all over Sabah.

They have travel desks in both wings.

KK Half day tour to get an idea of what's around KK.

Go to Manukan Islands from the Marina.

Poring Hot Springs.

Day trip to Sandakan and Sepilok Orang Utan Sancturary

Klias Wetlands River Safari

Gaya St Sunday Markets

North Borneo Railway

Orang utans at Rasa Ria Resort.

Korean Markets down by the sea in KK

Walk around Sinsuran and Segma Shopping Complexes in KK to find all sorts of cheap stuff and local atmosphere.

Visit Centrepoint, KK plaza, WAWASAN, and Wisma shopping centres in KK.

Try the wide variety of eating places in and around KK. (If you stay away from the resort hotels eating is very cheap)

Go to Tuaran Town to get a look at a large regional Centre.(There is a good Sunday Market).

If you want real adventure, do a train trip to Tenom to really see local life. (warning it is a long hot day and uncomfortable day.)

Get an Insight Pocket Guide to Sabah ( I got one at the Sabah State Museum)

Also check Sabah tourism at http://203.115.228.182/index.php

Don't worry about wandering around KK and Sabah. I travel alone and have never felt threatened. Ignore Australian travel warnings they are basically rubbish.

If you need more or if you would like me to email some photos from my recent trip Email me at eugenew@westnet.com.au (this is a secondary emauil address if you confirm your address I will email stuff from my primary address)

Sydney
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: KK Holiday in August - General queries

Hello.

I have never taken Malaria tablets and go to Sabah about 3 times a year. Especially if you are staying in a resort such as The Sutera it isnt necessary

The Sutera is great, as long as you arent beach people.

I prefer the Magellan Wing to the Pacific Wing, as the other poster said, the public areas of the Pacific are airconditioned, but only the Club Rooms have balconies, the Magellan rooms all have balconies.

If you are beach people I would be happy to make other recommendations.

With regards to the tours, it is often better to pre book these before leaving Australia so that you dont miss out. Some things get booked out. Its not like Bali where 'everyone is a tour guide' I have heard of people who have missed out on seeing the Orangutans etc.

OK, you might pay 10% more by prebooking it in Australia, but at least you will have peace of mind that you are going to be able to do thengs you want to do.