We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi guy's , any one read the latest reviews on the STAR, especially with regard to the Horizon club??, any one got any recent positive feedback, we arrive on 28/05 for 10 nights and have upgraded.

Regards

Jamie and Suzanne

Bridgwater...
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Me too! We are staying Sept/Oct and have been told that there are refurbs going on over the next few months. Would appreciate any info

Regards

Bob

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi there

Have just come back from staying at the STAR for 10 nights.

Great hotel, we didn't upgrade as we were given a Tanjung room with it being our anniversary. (Room 136). It was on the ground floor with an ocean view - very nice.

We didn't think the horizon club deal was value for money as the staff offered it to us for £40 GBP per night. It does include a great buffet breakfast & evening drinks & canapes from 5pm. We are not normally ready to go out at 5pm so we thought it wasn't worth it.

There are plenty of restaurants & bars in KK and a few close to the hotel let us know if you would like any recommendations.

Have a great time - we did

Tracy & Daryl

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi Tracy and daryl, just got your post, love to hear more about your stay, you can e-mail us direct @ james.sincrest@btinternet.com.

Thanks again

Cheers Jamie and Suzanne

PS, we are not sure if the upgrade is included in our price, as I have contacted the hotel directly and spoken with Beatrice the Horizon club purser and she told me that we are already upgraded, however, we did not inform our T/A to do so??, anyway we will wait until we get there and decide

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi there

We tried a few places outside the STAR but we ate mainly in the town of KK.

The restaurant directly outside the hotel is called Beachbums which is ok for lunchtime snacks & evening meals if you don't fancy going too far. They do 2 pint jugs of Tiger beer in happy hour for 30 ringitts up to 8pm.

There are a few hawker stalls a further 10 mins walk further down the road - we did'nt try these. On a Saturday evening the Seafood restaurant at Tanjung beach has cultural entertainment and as it is the weekend there are alot of locals around which gives it a good atmosphere. We had sweet & sour prawns, rice, noodles, vegetables in oyster sauce & 2 jugs of beer for about £15GBP.

Do try Little Italy in KK if you like pizza & pasta.

We went to the waterfront area on a couple of nights, there are a few bars & restaurants that were good. The club called BED was entertaining watching the locals. They had happy hours until 9pm. A jug of Long Island Ice Tea was 38 ringitts.

If you like Indian food the Kohinoor restaurant was very reasonable. We sat outside this restaurant at the bar next door which had cheap beer about £1GBP a bottle in happy hour.

If you don't mind somewhere a bit basic go to beach street ( nowhere near the beach) the taxi drivers / hotel staff know where it is try the BB cafe 5 bottles of Heineken / Tiger were 25 ringitts. ( the local amenities were not good so make sure you don't need the toilet before you go there)

We would recommend the evening buffet in the hotel, it was approx £10GBP per person. They had prawns, salmon, crab, mussels, salad, soup, a wok station where you picked your own ingredients, indian, chinese, pasta, noodles plus other daily dishes and sweets & puddings and coffee. We thought this was a really good price. Don't order mineral water with your meal as this is free of charge but it you ask for a bottle from the menu they will charge you.

Are you going to KL first as we went there too & stopped at the Shangri - la there which was amazing.

You must go to Sepilock.

Have a great time

Tracy & Daryl

PS did try to send this to your email address but it wouldn't send

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Tracy and Daryl thanks a million great info, we are actually staying in Singapore at the Shang ri la, we arrive on 26/05 for 2 nights, staying 10 nights at the STAR and then 1 further night at the Shang ri la on the way back. We cannot wait, we all love Singapore, however, this will be our fisrt time to Borneo, thanks again for your info, if there is anything else please let us know.

Best regards

Suzanne

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi there,

Myself and my fiancee will be stopping in a Kinabalu wing room in July. We have upgraded to the horizon club(we got a good deal with trailfinders) and so reading this review gets me slightly worried.

Any information anyone has regarding the kinabalu wing and the horizin club is much appreciated.

cheerss - Graham

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi,

I have just returned from the STAR and stayed in the horizon club on the recommendation of a friend. I know the hotel charges a small fortune locally for the Horizon package but we upgraded through Kuoni at the cost of about 20GBP per night (not per person).

In my opinion it was totally worth it. Not only do the staff treat you really well but you get complimentary soft drinks throughout the day (can of coke/sprite costs about 2quid) AND you get complimentary alcohol (spirits, wine, beers) between 5pm and 7pm along with a superb little buffet. Bottles of wine cost a fortune and you can easily put away a bottle of white wine for free whilst enjoying the views from the balcony!

You also get free internet usage.

The hotel is one of the best I have stayed in and will definately return. Eating there is a bit pricey but then it is a 5 star hotel. KK town is nothing special there are a few nice bars along the waterfront, and a great local market. Beachbums is ok but seemed to lack atmosphere. A trip to sepilok is good and would recommend flying to sandakan rather than trying to do it by road. (The hotel can arrange this).

Would also recommend Mamutik island which is only a 40MYR speedboat ride away for great snorkelling.

I am sure you'll have a great time. Feel free to email me if you want any further info (sjmurray10@hotmail.com)

Malaysia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm also planning a trip to KK this Dec 2006. I'm not sure whether to stay at Tanjung Aru or not because I spoke to the STAR staff and they informed me that there will be construction works starting in Sept this year.

I'm worried with all the noises during the day time. Imagine lying by the poolside, reading a book, sun bathing and you get all the drilling and knocking noises at the background!!!

Sigh....I'm still uncertain...maybe go to Sutera Harbour instead

9. Re: Has anyone read the latest review for the STAR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:23 am, August 12, 2009