We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabah travel warnings

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sabah travel warnings

The Australian Government (DFAT) has issued a travel warning to "reconsider the need to travel" to East and West Coast Sabah. Apparently specific threat of kidknapping tourists from resorts or something. I am not sure whether I am concerned about this or not. Is it a bit hyped ? Has anyone on recent trips to Sabah seen/ expereinced any unusual threats ?

Vung Tau, Vietnam
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sabah travel warnings

not much point talking about old travel advisories/news. Warnings are still current, agree with rxxm, use caution, etc

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sabah travel warnings

Why have you suddenly jumped on this thread?

The majority of the advisory being discussed on this thread were do not travel warnings on parts of Sabah that were lifted by most countries in May and Australia in June. I agree "not much point talking about old travel advisories/news". That is no longer relevant.

We are seasoned travellers and are quite able to make our own decisions based on personal experience.

Harrogate, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sabah travel warnings

Just back from Kotakinabalu with my 18 year old son. Did not get the impression there were any issues. I stayed with a friend who has lived there for over thirty years am sure she would have mentioned it. Maybe not going to remote places is the answer. I have not been for 25 years it is as beautiful as i remember it amazing beaches and food.

queensland
Level Contributor
97 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Sabah travel warnings

Just back from Sabah as well. Drove KK- Kudat-Pitas-Sandakan-Ranau-Tuaran-KK- not one sign of anything but happy locals ,lots of wildlife and beautiful countryside. Had a great trip!!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Sabah travel warnings

Warning valid. Tourist killed inside hotel room and 58 yo wife kidnapped.. Likely by Abu Sayyaf extremist from neighboring Philippines.

www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php…

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sabah travel warnings

This is old news and if you were a regular follower of news for Sabah you would find that it has been discussed at length.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Sabah travel warnings

BigW, the link Elheffetw posted was dated 10 December 2013.

The event seems to have happened on November 15.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Sabah travel warnings

I am aware of that and it has been discussed on other threads at the time.

29. Re: Sabah travel warnings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 12, 2014