We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Sabah

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in Sabah

Want some advise re Sukau river safaris. Have read up on Uncle Tan and it sounds like you 'll get more wildlife there but camp sounds very rustic. Don't care re no air con etc but need to shower at the end of the day and not get eaten alive by mosquitos. Other operators are charging big bucks for what is an arvo cruise sleep over then back to Sandakan, not what I want. Would like to do morning and arvo cruises and night walks if possible, and not have other trips added on like Sepilok or town tour or cave tour. Any advice out there?

Also trying to stay at the Danum Vallet Field Centre for a couple of nights. Has anyone stayed there? Can you hire guides? Don't want to pay eco lodge bucks for a visit.

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Sabah

Currently the Kinabatangan area is flooded, and there are no tours going in, but this can change in a few days, so depending on when you're arriving.

For the lodges, Uncle tan's is pretty run down, and is on low ground, which means that during heavy rain you'll be wading in mud. There are several better choices, the one situated on "high" ground is Trekkers Lodge ( also the newest one), go to www.trekkerslodge.com to read a bit about it. The price is approx the same as UT.

For Danum, contact the field centre directly.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Sabah

I have stayed at the Danum Valley and it was a fantastic experience. As previously posted you have to book direct. Although I stayed in the main centre I have heard that it can be cheaper to stay in thier 'Field Centre' accommodation which is close by but seperate.

Their prices include guided tours and food.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Sabah

Just in case you didnt see this-

…virtualtourist.com/2/…

I stayed at Tans twice last year, and you are right, it is 'rustic'-very, however, if you want to see wildlife, you wont be disappointed. The last time i was there in October 2005, i saw Pigs/Civets/Giant and Pygmy squirrels/Maqaques/Orang utan/BIG monitors etc etc and that was just in the camp grounds, i only just missed a (very rare)clouded leopard two nights before. Dont concentrate on just river safari trips, they are ok but all the birds and monkeys are usually at the top of trees, and unless you have a real good camera (mine has 10x optical zoom and barely just made it)you wont see much detail. The night river safaris are better (cos everything is asleep and therefore not moving about)and the swamp night trek is just awesome-ive never seen so many tree frogs in one place-plus tarantula's etc. You can shower (in pumpkin soup colored water) but its a waste of time-with 90% plus humidity you are soaked with sweat in 5 minutes and deodorant only attracts the mozzies :)just stand outside when it rains!. Use tropical strength aerogard (but expect to still get bitten)-anti malarials are a personal decision-talk to your doctor. Have a great trip.