We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

hi!we're going to kk on the 17th of feb 2006. how's the weather there at this time?

also, where is the best place to have our US$ converted to RM? is it easy to find a money changer there aside from the airport? what's the current exchange rate?

we're arriving there at about 2pm of the 17th and will be leaving 2pm on the 19th.. do you think that the time for city tour and trip to north borneo railway would be enough on the 17th? how far is the railway from the city? or should we move it on the 19th before we leave?

on the 18th we're planning to go to the beach.. in tunku abdul raman marine parks. is half day enough? what else can we do or where else can we go on that day to maximize our stay? how much are we probably going to spend for entrance to resorts and fare going to the islands? we plan to go on our own and not avail of trip packages.do you think we can still visit the kk national park?

what else can we do on the 19th aside from gaya street fair?

we want to visit the orangutans too.. where can we go and how far is it from the city?

also, is the sabah state mosque same as the floating mosque?

sorry i have a lot of questions. hope to hear from you. thanks!!!

Sabah
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

Hello, I am zainy a resident here in Sabah . Welcome to Sabah/North Borneo. At this time the weather is a bit wet, raining almost every afternoon . Hopefully when u arrived its stops..;) . Once u arrived at the airport u have pleasant time to visit the city . The Island that u will visit is very close to the city . Try to type Manukan Island on the web site . U also should visit Mount Kinabalu Park with is about 2 hours drive from the city . U can change ur mony at Wisma Merdeka and few other places. there shouldnt be problem . the train trip would be fun , its very old fashioned . my suggestion stay longer . u will not regret it.. take care

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

hi zainy! thanks for the info. how long will the north borneo railway trip take? are we gonna have some sightseeing during the trip? how much is the trip? is the terminal near the city?

is the gaya street fair a really good place to shop?

what else can we do on saturday (feb 18) aside from the island trip? would it be possible to visit 3 islands in one day? thanks so much!

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

You can go to the islands for RM15 return + RM 10 entrance fee ( park fee) first boat leaves at 8, last return is 5, you can visit all the islands in the same day, but it will oviouly cost more.

You can visit the Organgutan's in Rasa Ria, 40 minutes from town, you can also go to sepilok ( the sanctuary) but to do it as a day trip, you need to fly.

The Kinabalu park can be done as a day trip, and you can do this on your own ( it's not very exiting though)

The floating mosque is the City mosque, the state one is different.

for exchange rates, Unless you are planning to change 10's of thousands, don't wast time looking for the best option, USD is pegged to MYR, so you might get 20 cents extra somewhere, but it's not worth it

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

thanks borneoinfo! so we're going to spend about RM35 per island? (25 fare + 10 entrance)

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

No, you're gonna spend RM 25, 35 is including ice cream

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

i see.. thanks borneoinfo! btw, im a little confused with the borneo railway trip.. how much

will it cost? how long is the trip? what are the sites to see while riding it?

Manila
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

how's the weather there right now? we're arriving this coming friday..

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

The site includes information for most major destinations in Malaysia including Sabah.

#1 Current Forecast

#2 Monthly Temp Averages

#3 Monthly Rainfall Averages

#4 Number of Rain days per month

http://www.worldweather.org/020/m020.htm

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

It only runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays, expect to pay 180- 200 RM, depending where you book it

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: please give me an advice re: kk trip (weather, currency...

Not much to see, the train itself is the attraction, it only runs from KK to Papar.

Weather right now is clear skies, 35 Celcius