We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home exchange kota kinabalu

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
56 reviews
Home exchange kota kinabalu

We belong to a home exchange site and have had an offer of a home in KK and Borneo is one of the destinations that appeal to us. However we wanted to do some 'cultural' trips to Vietnam etc staying in hotels, broken up by a beach break in some areas in Asia. Would KK be a good destination for this or, as it seems from info we've read, the best beaches are just on the islands (none in KK which is more of a town??) which would be a bit of a hassle/ costly to travel to each day?? Would appreciate any thoughts on whether KK would be a good relaxing place for 10days /2 weeks.......

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Home exchange kota kinabalu

First of all Kota Kinabalu is in the State of Sabah in East Malaysia on the Island of Borneo so you have to fly there from mainland Asia (Vietnam). KK is a bit more than a town, it is city with a population of several hundred thousand people. It has extensive shopping facilities and a lot of hotels and resorts.

Apart for the islands there are extensive beaches at Shangri-la Rasa Ria, Nexus, Tuaran Beach Resort, Beringgis Beach Resort and others.

The is also a beach at Tanjung Aru (in my opinion not very good), and small man made beaches at Sutera Harbour.

A lot will depend on where the home you are to use is, for ease of access to these beaches.

Let us know where the home is, (address?) and we may be able to help with more information

London, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Home exchange kota kinabalu

Thanks for the info. Can 'outsiders' use the resort beaches? Unfortunately I don't have the address but know it's 'downtown'.

How much does it cost approx to go to the islands (any you would recommend in particular reviews of Gaya seem mixed) - are there local ferries?Can you hire and use scooters in KK for local travel and also to the islands. We did this in Phuket and my husband's an experienced (Italian ! ) scooter driver and found it's the best way ever to see an area and in spite of all the warnings didn't have any scrapes!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
150 reviews
3. Re: Home exchange kota kinabalu

The beaches at the resorts can be used by the public, except for Sutera Harbour. They are not private beaches.

There are regular boat services to the islands from Jessleton Pier on the city forshore, Tanjung Aru Beach and Sutera harbour marina. Sorry can't help you with the cost as it is several years since I have been to the Islands. You can hire small motor bikes in Kota Kinabalu. There has been recent discussion on this topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k174…

Edited: 7:48 am, May 13, 2010
4. Re: Home exchange kota kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu