We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fish feeding and staying at Manukan Island Resort

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
fish feeding and staying at Manukan Island Resort

Hi, if I would like to do fish feeding without going too far from where I stay, is Manukan Island Resort a good choice ?

Thanks

Kent, uk
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fish feeding and staying at Manukan Island Resort

hello, well I really have to say that I cannot recommend this after my recent experience. We went to manukan island for the day and the sea was so clear we could see the many fantastically coloured variaties of fish from the jetty. My big mistake was to go into the water with a bread roll in my hand , well in seconds a big shoal of fish were feeding from my hand but then it all got very scary as the fish were attacking the bread in a frenzy. I felt the most terrible pain as a fish either bit me or more likley its fin made an inch and a half deep cut to the base of my thumb. Pouring with blood we found the first aid post , a rusty looking box with unwrapped bandages and plasters. the beach guy at the shop was kind but staunched my cut which really needed several stitches with his own fingers, no gloves or hygiene - or care for himself-, anyway i still have the scar to prove it as it became very infected on the holiday. talking to experts there they said fish should not be fed as it is affecting their swim bladders and making them dangerous in their quest for food. several people got nipped on the legs while we were there also getting cuts, 1 woman with a very young baby. although i learnt never to feed the fish , we snorkelled and swam for the duration of our holiday. however i did find it alarming from that time on as the fish seem to have no fear of humans and see us as meal tickets, relying on tourists for food which is killing them. sorry if this spoils your plans, there are many other ways to enjoy the fish though, so try snorkelling .... enjoy !!!