We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi feedback,

We stayed in the Deluxe Seaview room in the Harbour Wing of the Magellan. Top floor (5th) Block 7 and it was fantastic. Was worth spending the extra money. We looked out onto the islands. It was beautiful!

Also took the train tour. (We have 2 kids so really did it for them) It was expensive for what you got (about $260 AU) for 4 of us. As Misty Cat said earlier lunch is served on board, a bit of a novelty thing being served in a tiffan lunchbox. Lunch consisted of a few satay sticks with a chicken wing served with spicy rice. A small tuna and salad, and a small selection of fruit. Nothing to rave about but better than I was expecting. i personally found the temple stop boring but it was a bit of fun bargaining for a few pairs of fake sunnies etc at the markets in Papar. I enjoyed seeing the changing landscape and passing thru the villages. It was great to see all the local kids waving and smiling as the train passed through.

All in all we did enjoy the day (4 hours, 10.00- 2.00) and I'm glad we did it.

Bunbury,Western...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi Susieq1

We too are off to KK in a week, (instead of Bali) and have 3 kids 8-11. We are staying at the Sutera,magellan etc but i wondered about the cost of food and drinks at the hotel.

Also does it cost extra for water activities as advertised by the hotel?

I am also looking forward to the train ride, any hints for a family?

thanks

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi Nyalee,

We rarely ate at the Magellan other than a light lunch a few times. After the Magellan breakfast, you dont need to eat for a week!

Lunch was not overly expensive, but would quickly add up for a family if you ate there every day.

Meals in the city were extremely cheap. However, you cant walk to the restaurants. Either need to get a cab or shuttle bus.(Must book in advance) Cab was approx $4.00 one way. (But only takes 4 passengers) Unfortunately KK is not like Bali and you can walk out of hotel into a restaurant next door. Magellan is just out of the town, a 5 minute taxi ride.

The only water sports we tried was at Manukan Island and that was the Banana Boat. It was great fun and $10.00 each. I dont know of any free water sports at the Magellan.

The Country Club next door (and which guests can use all facilities) has a 10 pin bowling alley. Games were about $4.00AU each including shoe hire. My kids loved this as a break from the pool or when we were not out sightseeing. The country club pool also had Waterslides which the kids loved. Teh days we hung around the resort we tended to hang out at the Country Club Pool. The Magellan is so nice that sometimes you dont want to leave for the day.

Snorkelling at Manukan Island was fantastic. About $13.00 each to get there and a great day.

It is a real shame that you have had to cancel your Bali holiday! Its hard not to enjoy the Magellan though! (In my opinion)

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi Nyalee,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about drinks at the Magellan. There were expensive, even soft drink.

We were not in a position to be able to afford it every day so other than the odd drink around the pool we left drinks to later in the afternoon on our balcony. Beer and softdrink can be bought at any supermarket. I took my own wine.

Bunbury,Western...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

thanks susieq1

That info helps alot, this is our first family holiday so all the info I'm getting from the forum is great. Thanks again!

Bunbury,Western...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi susieq1

I just read another posting where you had compiled a list of restaurants, shops etc...

Would you be able to email me the list please? I would be really grateful. My email address ausway@westnet.net.au

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Thanks for the great firsthand report Susieq1. This is very helpful to everyone. Glad you had a good time in KK.

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Susieq1, would also love a copy of the restuarants. My email is export@ward.com.au Thanks

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi Nyalee,

My email to you was returned undelivered. Can you just check the address for me?

Thanks

Sue

Bunbury,Western...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Sorry Susieq1

Brand new email address that day oops!

ausway@westnet.com.au (not net.au)

or leebiz@myaccess.com.au if that doesnt work.

thanks alot, have a great day!!

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Magellan rooms and Borneo steam train

Hi Minee,

Sorry have tried to email you twice but it keeps on getting blocked for some unknown reason.

Susieq1