We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Loreto (AN) Italy
4 posts
Save Topic
Malaria

Hello everyone

do you know if I need to take any malaria tablets before going to KK?

thanks

ciao

martina

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Malaria

NEWS22003

When people talk rubish and give inappropriate information such as yourself that can positively put other peoples health at risk, who are you to tell anyone to 'calm down'.

My advice on this particular topic has definately been more constructive and accurate than yours.

Springfield
11 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Malaria

Wow perfecttune I thought your advice was pretty decent before this but I guess your true colors are coming out. Boo to you. I think this kind of thing is very unprofessional and inappropriate.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Malaria

Sorry if I have offended any one but I have had a passion for travel all my life, (in excess of 40 years), and when I feel that inappropriate information is being given, especially on an information site such as this, (not a message board), then I can not help but strengthen my views, especially when being 'admonished' by someone who I feel may inadvertantly be giving advice that can be detrimental to certain people on such a serious issue.

As it says on the home page, not everyone will agree with the local expert and controversy can reign.

Cheers to everyone.

KL Malaysia
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Malaria

Purfectune,

You made it sound like there is an outbreak of malaria in Sabah - take the tablet or you die, if not now or later. I think the tone is slightly harsh. It is almost like those safety warnings issued by those government/embassy. I know u've been all over the world as confirmed by u, but should not dismissed local's opinion as rubbish, do not think it was an advise anyhow. BTW, surely there is no such thing as locals are immune, we do get bitten by mosquitoes (mossies cannot discriminate), it just not as itchy or clearly marked our skin. But if the mossies carry malaria, the risk of it getting to the body is still the same.

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Malaria

Local people in malaria areas get injections from there hospital which can prevent malaria

Springfield
11 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Malaria

Hopefully this topic wont get out of hand again. I suggest people just look up official information on reliable web sites. Second hand info from people who have visited a few times doesnt seem like the best source to get medical info that could negatively effect your life.

To hopefully help some people I went to a world recognized organazation and found the following. The Center For Disease Control (CDC) states the following on Malaysia.

"Malaysia: Risk limited to rural areas. No risk in urban and coastal areas. Note: No risk in Republic of Singapore."

The CDC is known for being OVER cautious and I believe KK is and urban and coastal area, at least it was on my visit 9 years ago. Use this info any way you see fit just reporting it not arguing the subject. Please dont take it personally.

If you are going into the interior or deep jungle the CDC reccomends the following.

"Travelers to malaria-risk areas in Indonesia, East Timor, Laos, Malaysia, and Vietnam should take atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline, mefloquine, (or primaquine in special circumstances)."

If you are planning a beach vacation with shopping and perhaps climbing KK then it sound like you should be fine without it. If you are a jungle trekker planning on going deep into Borneo take Malaria meds.