We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Tokyo
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Hi!

We are spending 4 days in KK then 3 nights in sandakan/kinabatangan then back for 3 night in KK. Staying at le Meridien.

Can anyone recommend some great places to eat out in KK? One day will be my birthday so somewhere really nice would be good (I heard Atmosphere is good?)

Also any nice everyday local places would be great, nice authetic local food with a great atmosphere. Or night markets we can wander around tasting bits!

Many thanks for any help!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Yeah, for your birthday Atmosphere would be a good choice for the view. Its a revolving restaurant so you get a 360 degree view of Kota Kinabalu and the surrounding areas while you eat. Nice interior design as well.

http://www.atmosphererestaurant.com/

Been there earlier this year, and its a nice place especially in terms of its ambiance and view. You will need a car to get there though as it is not in Kota Kinabalu (KK) town centre but further out in Likas.

For local seafood, haven't been there myself (just passed it by on the road), so can't vouch for the prices or the food, but my sabah friends have recommended to me Gayang restaurant. Its located 25 minutes away from KK, so again you need a car. There's also another seafood restaurant called Salut in this area.

…wordpress.com/2008/…

…wordpress.com/2007/…

Lutterworth, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Hi,

I'd recommend a few places - depending on what type of food you like.

Koh I Noor is a good India restaurant on the waterfront at Kota Kinabalu.

Brass Monkey is a really nice local place which serves best steak in Kota Kinabalu.

The Japanese restaurant at the Hyatt serves great sushi and is themed - making it quite special.

There are also lots of restaurants in Warasan Square for eating out in KK.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Hi,

Yes, Atmosphere will the place for your birthday. It is a revolving restaurant located on the 18th floor of Tun Mustapha tower(or known as Sabah Foundation).

Le Meridien is located right next to 2 shopping complexes, Warisan Square and Centre Point. Infront is the Water front with quite a few authentic food outlets as well as Warisan Sq. There's a night market in front and at night they even offer BBQ tiger prawns and other sea food (but, please be careful at this night market)

Within walking distance is a good seafood restaurant, Ocean Seafood village which offers live seafood and cook to your taste.

Another good place to try out is the Sedco open night food stalls which offers live seafood, and local delicacies like satay, BBQ chicken wings and many others. It is also within walking distance from Le Meridien. Good choice for a hotel with good location.

Have a nice holiday in Sabah and Happy eating out. :)

Tokyo
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Thanks for all the help!

When you say be careful at the night market, what do you mean? Be careful of the food? Or be careful in general? (Wallet, etc...)

Any "must eats" while we are in Malaysia (I have only been to Kuala Lumpur once about 5 years ago and ate mostly Chinese and Indian food there as it was so good!)

What is average price for eating out? (Of course depends on the restaurant but as a guideline).

Thanks again!

5. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 pm, August 18, 2008
malaysia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

Hi... I've only been to KK once and it was last year. I would recommend you to try the fishball soup noodle, the shop called "wong wong". All the noodle made by fish and the fish balls are really fresh. I forgot the address, try to find it out anyway, it's a great meal!

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

I never been to atmosphere before, but it will be a good place for ur birthday.

for local food, i would suggest you not to miss out Moonbell restaurant - …blogspot.com/2007/…moonbell-restaurant.html

dun miss out the brinjal, chicken, calamari and roasted lamb

u could get lots of nice local food along gaya street. I would skip those restaurant at warisan square though as it's too commercialize.

8. Re: Advice on some nice places to eat in KK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 04, 2009