We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

Can anyone direct me to some money exchange places close to the Tanjung Aru Resort? I have read of one place on the forum (somewhere in a plaza?) but would be grateful for any suggestions, especially as I will be arriving with $A and little by way of ringgits.

Thanks!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

If you join the Shangri-La's Golden Circle on arrival, (free), you will immediately be entitled to up to 250USD off of your credit card with them at no extra charge. They will simply debit your card and give you the cash, (in ringetts of course). They will also change your AUD for you but at hotel rates.

Otherwise there is an abundance of ATM's and banks in town, a 12-15 RM taxi ride away.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

Alternatively, you could make an exchange at the Kota Kinabalu Airport (there are two money changers just outside of the gate you will be arriving, after baggage claim). Or, if you happen to be at one of the the malls in KK, there are numerous licensed money changers you could make an exchange.

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

There are a few changers in town and of course you can do it at the bank but I would recommend the airport. The airport will give you a better rate than a bank and only slightly worse than the ones in town. We are talking 1 RM per 100 or so difference.

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

Thanks for all the replies. Purrfecttune, what is the "Shangri La Golden Circle"? Is there a particular type of credit card associated with it (eg Visa, AMEX, Mastercard)?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange Places near Tanjung Aru Resort

It is specific to the Shangri-La Hotel chain. There are three levels of membership depending on how many times you stay with any of them over a year. You simply ask to join at the first level in reception on your arrival. The process takes about 10 minutes and you then immediately get all the benefits such as half price breakfast and room upgrades. Look on the Shangri-la website www.shangri-la.com for full details of all the other benefits.