We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

We are a travelling to KK in August 08 as a group of 5: 3 adults and 2 children (8yrs and 13 yrs) staying for 7 nights. I am finding it difficult to book suitable accommodation at a reasonable price- most resorts have a max. room capacity of 3. Tuaran Beach resort offers 2 bedroom chalet style accommodation at a good price. I would really like to hear from someone who has stayed there recently as I have read some negative blogs about the resort although these blogs are 18 months old and I believe the resort has been updated recently. Or can anyone suggest an alternative for a family of 5?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

We are a family of 4, and last year stayed at the Berringis Resort. We had a family chalet which slept us very comfortably, it had two bedrooms and a small living area. The resort itself was great, our chalet was right next to the pool so we could sit on our balcony while the kids were swimming. Unfortunately there were alot of jelly fish so you were unable to swim in the beach. The only down side about this place is that it is about 30mins taxi drive to the centre of KK,about 50rm, so if you had been out all day and didn't want to have to travel again at night you are restricted to their restaurant, while the meals are not too bad there are certainly much nicer ones in KK itself. So ups and downs really. The other place you could try which isn't a resort but is right in the centre of KK is the Promenade Apartments, they are right next to the Promenade Hotel and have 2 and 3 bedroom apts with small kitchenette.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

Hi, we went to Sabah in Jan 2008 and stayed in fantastic accommodation right in KK (I personally would not like to stay way out of town). We stayed in a penthouse apartment right in the city, minutes walk from shops, waterfront etc. It was absolutely fantastic, views over TAR park, just gorgeous, I cant speak highly enough of it and very reasonable. It would easily accommodate your group and then some. Google penthousekk, it really is as good as it looks

Lynne

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
451 reviews
3. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298307-d302…

Check out my review for the Tanjong Aru Resort which is only 5 minutes from the Budget Terminal at the airport and 10 minutes ride from downtown KK. Great accommodation and I am sure that they could give you joining rooms to accommodate your party.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
87 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

Hi

Check out : www.holidayapartmentskk.com. Friends of our stayed there.Great apartment. Very central to everything and the owners are very helpful.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

Both the Penthouse and the holiday apartments as mentioned are located at Marina Court at the city central, within walking distance to shopping centres, food and short distance by taxi to the jetty terminal to the Taman Tunku Abdul Rahman (a marine park) with is only 15 mins boat ride. The park is also good for snorkelling, sun bathing, etc.

Also within walking distance to the Tourism Malaysia office and not that far too to the Sabah Tourism Board if you want to have more info where to visit.

Unless, if you prefer only resorts, which are located a bit away from the city centre. Beringgis resort is acheaper source of resort by the seaside and better choice than Tuaran Beach Resort.

Sydney
6 posts
6. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

I stayed at Tuaran Beach resort last month and enjoyed it. The Resort has been recently updated. I saw the Chalets, they have plenty of room for a family of your size and just a few meters from the beach. The resort is very quiet but they also have a good range of excursions and activities that you can do from there. The beachfront is much nicer than Berinngis which I also saw.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

Just returned from 9 fabulous days at Kota Kinabalu and can fill you in on a few suggestions.

First - save a bit extra money and book at Le Meridian. Go the whole hog and pay a little bit extra for a water view room or suite at the front of the hotel. It's 5 star and really luxurious with large rooms, large marbled ensuites, great swimming pool, spa, sauna, and gym. The hotel is spotless and staff are friendly and very helpful. Opposite the hotel is the nightly fresh fish, poultry and greens market which is built up about 4 pm and dismantled every night except at weekends. Sit down with the locals and eat cooked prawns, fish and other goodies - sure you'll get messy eating with your fingers but it's great fun and quite tasty. If you want a bit upmarket, try the adjoining boardwalk - the eating is a lot more civilised and more expensive but very good and still reasonable. Next door is a new complex called Warisan Square full of fashion shops and eating houses - food choices abound and all are extremely reasonable. We ate breakfast there every day as it was much cheaper than the hotel. However, beware the Japanese restaurant - they plonk a bowl of sliced pickles and paper towels on the table unannounced and then charge you for them at the end of the meal. Scumbags - try the Chinese restaurant next door - much better. Pirates are good and there are many choices suitable for the children. Behind Warisan is Centrepoint where you can find a supermarket (downstairs) and real bargain clothing on the next couple of levels. Heaps of eating places and KFC and McDonald's if desperation calls. Outside the Pacific store on level one are a couple of shops where you can buy DVDs and Games at the right price without having to deal with the touts in the streets. There are many others in the complex. Behind Centrepoint and diagonally opposite the Mobil service station is the laundry. They only wash and fold but the rooms contain an iron and ironing board. Costs about 9 ringit for 5 kilos ($A3.00). A few steps further is Sedco Square, a semi-open air dining place with heaps of fresh seafood still swimming around in tanks. Two nights ago we had fresh oysters, prawns cooked in butter and oil, a lobster just under one kilo steamed and beautifully presented in a heated tray, along with a large plate of fried rice containing baby octopus, prawn, squid and other goodies together with a large bottle of Tiger for about $A75.00.

The Hyatt is a good hotel in a crummy neighbourhood looking out at washing hanging from balconies. Shangri-La is good but a bit out of the way and guests told us that the food was not up to standard. Rasa Ria is way, way out of town and much too big and isolated for my liking. If you like staying in a small city type resort, then this could be your pick but I suggest the cost of eating there could be the downfall.

Whatever you do, do not leave without visiting the Orang Utang nursery at Rasa Ria - it's worth the trip to Sabah by itself. Cost us 160 ringit for transport there and back to the hotel (the driver waits for you) and 65 ringit each to enter. A bit of a climb as we are not young but certainly worth the effort. We were entertained for some 45 minutes by some of the most Logie worthy critters I have ever seen. Their antics and climbing prowess are truly spectacular. If you haven't got a movie camera, beg borrow or steal one and you will have memories forever.

We also went south to the wetlands near Beaufort to see the probiscus monkies but they are very shy and not that easy to spot. We saw a couple of crocs about a foot long but the highlight of the boat ride was the display of fireflies that were just stunning. Whole trees alongside the river were lit up like Christmas trees with the lights pulsating like on a real one.

Didn't go to Sepilok but a gentleman at the Rasa Ria nursery who had gone to Sandakan a few days previous told us that all he got for his money was a brief glimpse of 2 animals and it certainly was not worth the expense.

We live on the Gold Coast and AirAsiaX flies direct to Kuala Lumpur. From KL it's a 2 1/2 hour flight to Kota Kinabalu. Air Asia is very cheap but you have to book on the interent and beware of weight limitations for luggage and food etc is extra. It's the modern way. MAS have a special one ringit fare deal going at the moment on the internet within Malaysia. I don't know where you live but something like this is too good to miss. We flew to KL and back to the Gold Coast for the cost of the fuel surcharges and taxes only.

Remember, you will probably only make the trip once so make it worthwhile and DON'T miss the Orang Utangs at Rasa Ria.

Queensland
1 post
8. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

We are in KK at the moment and can certainly endorse everything that "Foulcan" has said - and this is our second time year since 3 years ago and also from the Gold Coast. I must add that since then they have cleaned up the town a lot more - used to smell pretty foul - but hardly anything this round! Also, I have not come across a beggar too! The Meridien is very central and also The Promenade - to all your shopping centres and eateries - you won't need a taxi for around town. You'll be amazed at the variety of clothing & shoes they sell too - compared to back home; but you have to search hard if you're a size 14 or more woman or size 38 or more man or get a tailor. Currently the money changers in town are buying Aud cash for 2.99 ringitt which is better than the airport rate of about 2.80 and hotel's average of 2.54. All in all my husband & I have enjoyed our holiday again here - thanks to the friendly and curious people and the food! Hope you find what you're looking for and have a great holiday.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
9. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

i am responding to Foulcan's detailed info. i am so happy that u enjoy kk so much. i am a local kk girl. i sometime forgot how great kk is cos i was born n raised in kk. im so glad u enjoyed the food and all. but i really need to firmly disagree with the statement u made on the sepilok rehabiliatation centre in sandakan (6 hours drive from kk/ 45 minutes by plan from kk). it is the biggest orang utan rehabiliatation ctr so when u said the person only get to see 2 org utans are very irresponsible to even say it's not worthed to come there. thats a bad statement to downgrade sepilok itself.if u come at the wrong time of course u will see only 2 org utans or maybe none. come at feeding time - 9 am/ 3 pm. there are lots of orang utan. dont believe everything u read.

abt the transportation to rasaria resort(orang utan), u may find it cheap cos malaysian ringgit is not expensive compared to USD. but i know it is very expensive as it was probably provided by the resort. but im sure the service is good.

and the seafood in kk is also expensive compared to sandakan and tawau. just to inform u that thats how sabahan picture it.

wat im trying to say is, u may enjoy kk and sabah and i am so happy for that but i know u dont know sabah like a real sabahan does. it's a statement that means to open your eye that u can learn sabah more and dont believe everything u read. any1 wants info on kk or sabah.. just send me a message.

borneo
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Family accommodation in Kota Kinabalu

I seriously do not recommend staying in Tuaran Beach Resort as the place has yet been upgraded since they last mention which was way back. The environment is very quiet but not a delight place to stay as the place is very far away and boring when you have a family and they do not have anything which is nice to cater for the kids activities. The beach front is some how and eye sore. You could get a better deal staying at Marina apartment which is closer to city area and adjacent to everything!