We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natural solution

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
here and there
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Natural solution

Hi Everyone, thank you for the replies to my last query.

Last time I was in KK I had a few too many close encounters with sandflies. I'm not too keen in covering myself in pesticides such as DEET.

Does anyone know any natural solutions or spices or herbs to eat repel them?

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Natural solution

Hi Travelliter

With different degrees of success you can try tea tree oil, lemon grass or, most effective in my opinion, citronella.

I was sitting near water at the Rainforest Music Festival in Sarawak and it was teaming with mozzies - friends of mine (not even me) were wearing wrist and ankle bands soaked in citronella and I never got bit a single time.

Additional measures include wearing long-sleeve clothing and nothing dark in colour (mozzies are aparently more attrated to dark colours than light).

here and there
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Natural solution

Hi Eastofwest

Thanks for your reply.

The bands sound good, Where can they be purchased from?

3. Re: Natural solution

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 08, 2009