We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperatures at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum at night

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Temperatures at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum at night

Hi,

Will we need warm fleece or jumper for the early morning and evening activities at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum valley, river cruises, walks etc? Or will a light jacket be enough?

Also are trek boots advisable for jungle treks or are trainers and sandals ok?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

uk
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperatures at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum at night

Hi Shenzie

Just returned last week from 3 weeks in Malaysia and visited all the places you mentioned - had a truly fantastic time . There were 7 of us on our trip including children and none of us wore a jumper or fleece once - the temperature is warm even at night - hard to imagine with our summer here! We did not take hiking boots because of the weight but used good trainers and leech socks when we needed (these were bought by our guide in Sandakan). It depends on how much rain there has been (and there had been a lot before we arrived) so we got a little muddy but nothing too bad. If you intend to go in the river in Danum (tubing - great fun) do take rubber sandals or flip flops. It is v. humid so nothing dries quickly and we brought home lots of damp, smelly clothes. Do hope you have a great time.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperatures at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum at night

Hi Shenzie

Welcome to Malaysia forum.Goto these sites for more info .

www.danumvalley.com

www;//www.tourismmalaysia.gov.com

http;//www.sarawaktourism.com

http://www.sabahtourism.com

N google sepilok for orangeutan at Sandakan

Have a nice trip

l

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperatures at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum at night

On my regular visits to Sabah, I wear a Pair of Clarks hiking sandles everywhere except the danum valley (simply because of leeches).

This includes treking alongside the Kinabatangan river as well. The worst I ever suffered was at the river once when a Fire Ant bit one of my toes!

Otherwise, the sandles (which I have now owned for about 10 years and have pretty much used on all holidays and most trekking destinations including Africa and India) are perfect, rugged enough for all terrains, comfortable and cool.

My partner alternates between sandles and a light pair of trainers.

4. Re: Temperatures at Sandakan, Kinabantagan and danum at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, September 06, 2009