We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Sabah

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Sabah

Hi,

Have booked to go to Danum Valley in sept 07.

Has anyone trekked the following trails?

COFFIN TRAIL - SEGAMA TRAIL - EAST TRAIL-Hornbill Trail

Just wondering if they are hard or generally gentle walks?

Also, is there a stairway leading upto the top of the canopy walkway?

Thanks for any info that can be provided.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Sabah

Hi,

Just got back from Danum Valley a couple of Months ago....can't really go wrong with this place if you are looking for a good time out in the wild...

Trails are generally easy, except for Coffin Trail where its a gradual uphill trek, this may take a bit of energy off you....

I think the new extention to the existing Canopy Walkway should be ready anytime now & it certainly looked fabulous! & yes, there are staircases.

Enjoy!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Sabah

With regards to the Coffin Trail, there is a great pool with waterfall to cool off in on the way back down.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
238 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Sabah

The hardest part of the walks is the humidity. We did stop a few times up the coffin trail and drank a fair amount of water. Bring bottles of water with you on the hikes. It rained on us while hiking the coffin trail and I am sure glad I had a walking stick.

The only other somewhat "hard" part is that you have 4 activities a day starting around 6:00 AM. Though, on one night, we had a drive instead of a hike. While the Danum Valley is lovely, it wasn't exactly a relaxing visit.

The trails are often muddy and it is easy to slip on branches and dead leaves.

Getting up to the canopy walkway involves a slow uphill hike until you are actually near the walkway itself, so while there are a few stairs (as I recall- or a ramp with boards across it to give you a toe hold), there aren't a lot of them.

Also, don't forget your leach socks. If you don't have them, they are sold by the lodge and I highly recommend them. Even our guide wore them.

UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Sabah

Thanks everyone for the advice.....i can't wait to go now....thank you.

5. Re: Trip to Sabah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, August 31, 2009