We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Magellan

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
The Magellan

Looking at staying here and know it is not central.However are there restaurants close by to use instead of going to the city

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
163 reviews
1. Re: The Magellan

flutterby59,

The only option is to eat within the resort or at Pacific Sutera once you leave the resort and rejoin the main road it is five minutes by car/taxi to the nearest Imago mall with 50 plus good food outlets to choose from and another five minutes to the top of KK the waterfront and sea food outlets. There are several good hotels to eat at for non-residents. There is a night food court on the main road leading to the waterfront. There is a wide choice in KK and it will be a lot cheaper than the resorts.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: The Magellan

You can download the apps name grab". The car services just like uber. Type down the location you want to heading to. Wait at the main door. Is reasonable price. From magellan to city cost around 5-8 ringgit malaysia.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: The Magellan

Thank you for your help.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: The Magellan

Thanks...do you have any hotel recommendations at all please?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
163 reviews
5. Re: The Magellan

flutterby59,

If you are refering to me. We prefer the Tanjung Aru for what they offer you can enter as a non resident but there is a few per person. Rasa Ria resort is very nice but a 30 minutes away from KK. It is the sister hotel to the Tanjung Aru resort so you may find this very useful, swapping dates, billing your room etc.

Forget the Sutera as your already staying there. Marriot, Hilton, Hyatt, the Grandis are all good, check via TA see which you prefer e.g. for the sunset view meals etc. There are plenty of others again I would chose via location and costngs using TA to guide you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: The Magellan

Hi David

We are planning to be in Kk mid Jan.Do you know how busy the TA is at this time? I am a teacher and as this is Aussie school hol I trying to avoid places that are overrun by kids.

Edited: 12:59 pm, September 03, 2018
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
163 reviews
7. Re: The Magellan

flutterby59,

Please double check via internet for Malaysian school holidays, mostly the Malaysian/Chinese community is starting to build up to the Chinese New Year and Easter, Malaysia has a lot of public holidays so this may make travelling a little busier the two days before an event and after an event. Simply put all other life carries on around each event/holiday.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: The Magellan

You will encounter lots of kids at any large resort based hotel in KK, such as the RasaRia, or TanjangAru, if you are looking for a resort without lots of kids, then i would suggest one of the resorts in the TARP (Tunku Abdul Rahman Park), such as Bunga Raya, Gaya Island Resort, or Gayana Eco Resort.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
6 posts
151 reviews
9. Re: The Magellan

I tot u had settled on marriott or Shangri-la? Magellan is like a man made island wth a 18 hole golf course, 2 hotels n a yot club. Magellan is the better of the 2 hotels, rooms are somewhat small. Thy hv several restaurant, pools, spa etc. To walk out, u hv to go pass the driving range to your left, when u hit the traffic lights there's a build across the road wth some restaurant nothing I wld recommend but that wld b the closes else u turn left n walk to town which is only 15min. It's humid outside so u may hv 2 take another shower wen u get bck. Else u can take a grab @ rm8 $2

Edited: 12:58 pm, September 12, 2018
Reply to: The Magellan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted