We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

warwickshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
83 reviews
Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

Please could anyone advise if flights from KL to KK are considered to be ‘domestic’ and therefore have no restrictions on liquids in cabin luggage. We are flying with AirAsia. Many thanks

11 replies to this topic
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,175 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

All airlines limit liquids to 100ml

The exception is a SEALED duty free (clear) carrier bag.

Trick - have an empty water bottle - once you have been through security, you can refill it at a water fountain.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

Thank you but that was not our experience flying from KL to Penang. Airasia did not apply that rule as it was 'domestics'. Just seeking confirmation that the same would apply to KL to KK flights.

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
308 reviews
3. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

I taken many internal flights in Malaysia and my experience is not as described in post no. 1. Passengers were carrying liquids of all shapes, sizes and volumes ( a cause of concern to say the least!). There seem to be no restrictions on internal flights but, as both foreigners and nationals have to pass through immigration controls in KK even for internal flights, I would imagine that the international restrictions would apply (although we always travel carry on only within the restriction I have never had to test this)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
169 reviews
4. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

intrepid2458,

There are some points here.

We travel from the UK so 100ml is the security maximum, plastic bag etc.

From KL & Singapore our onward flights to Kota Kinabalu have remained at 100ml.

AS mentioned Asian travellers are passed through with any amount of liquid, I have seen them drinking from 2lt bottles in front of security and my 500ml bottle just filled up from the water fountain was confiscated, they took a very unresponsive approach, when I complained they had let the family in front through.

We find sticking to the 100ml is best. Obviously duty free is a different issued.

My wife carries 100ml items then tops up at local shops with other larger items if needed.

Edited: 2:59 pm, March 05, 2018
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

The liquid restrictions are not applicable on domestic flights. I fly fairly often on AirAsia between KL and JB, and I have seen people bringing filled water bottles through security.

Flights from KL to KK leaves from the domestic concourse in KLIA2, so there is no limit on liquids. In the other direction, however, flights from KK to KL may leave from the international section of the terminal in order to route passengers through Sabah exit passport controls, therefore security may be applying the liquid rules as with actual international flights.

Edited: 1:01 am, March 06, 2018
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

There is no liquid restriction for domestic flights in Malaysia (including flights from KK to KL) - no airport/airline websites have mentioned about any such restriction for domestic flights. A few months back during my last visit to Malaysia I checked this and double checked at the KLIA2 & Langkawi domestic airports by asking security screening personnel and also checking information provided before security screening. They all confirmed that there is no liquid restriction on domestic flights. Contrary to what some people post on Malaysia forum, I have always carried 500-600 ml water bottles (brought from outside) in many Malaysian domestic flights. Although not relevant to this question, I can also confirm that there are no liquid restrictions in domestic flights in Australia and Indonesia.

Edited: 8:01 am, March 06, 2018
warwickshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
83 reviews
7. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

Thank you

warwickshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
83 reviews
8. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

Thank you.

london
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
9. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

Tyvm!

malaysia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10. Re: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin

Thank you so much for all the information.I was very worried as next week will be my first time travelling without check-in luggage.

Reply to: Flight from KL to KK return - liquid restrictions in cabin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted