We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info about day trip to Brunei

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Info about day trip to Brunei

Hi everyon - 12 more sleeps before we leave for KK! Yay! I have a quick question....

**how do you go about organising a day trip/tour to Brunei?

**How much does it cost (flying there plus a tour)?

**How long does the tour take?

**Is it worth it?

Sorry, that was more than one question... but would really appreciate any and all advice, tips and info.

Cheers :o)

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
180 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Hi Ivory,

KK and Brunei is quite a distance apart and seriously; nothing much to view in Brunei. Unless u wanna hv a glance at the biggest Palace in the world (from outside only). Waterworld is also available in KK anyway. Better spend the $$$ going to Sandakan (for the orang utan & diving).

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

I agree. I found Brunei boring in a 2 night stay there last year. Time better spent in Sabah and KK.

england
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Wow

Talk about different peoples experiences !!

I did a whistle stop tour of Brunei during a 5 hour stop over between flights on the way home from KK - England and wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I arranged it at my hotel through wildlife expeditions and once at Brunei was met by a young taxi driver with my name on his placard.

I was travelling alone so was slightly worried about the transit thing but he was very reassuring asked me what time my onward flight was and off we went.

It was soooo interesting he was very informative and took me to the Royal museum,I was blown away by this huge solid gold ceremonial shield studded with enormous diamonds!!!! Talk about a girls best friend!!! LOL.

The sultan of bruneis palace (for photos from a distance admittedly but wow!!)

The main mosque where the sultan actually prays every sunday and we had to don robes and he then gave me a tour of where the women and men wash before prayer and then pray.(as long as you walked carefully round the halls and didnt step on the prayer mats.) there were people actually praying while we were there.

Then we went to the Water village which is like a whole town on the water which even has 2 schools a fire station etc etc. We did a mad boat trip and got off on these rickety old walkways that go all round and children were riding bikes up and down and were invited into someones house where they gave us tea and cakes and made us really welcome, talked about the way they live. (they actually fish from a trap door in their kitchen floor) Honestly!!!

From there we went all around a hotel which was originally being built as a palace for one of the sultans brothers but got stopped and turned into a hotel when the prince disgraced himself!!

Then returned to the airport with about half hour to spare down the avenue where the Sultans palace is again which was then covered in millions of what are like christmas lights and was truly beautiful.

Learnt loads about the history of the place, was amazing and would love to do it again. Think I was lucky with my driver though (and tipped him accordingly!)as spoke to a couple that had stopped over there for 3 days and they hadn't seen half of what I had. Also another couple I had met had booked the coach tour for the same transit stop I was on and hardly saw anything.

The only thing I didn't get time for was the night market which we flew past on the way back to the airport, maybe next time.

Sally

Vancouver, BC
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Hi Sally,

That was truly an experience you had, we are considering stop by Brunei on our way to KK as well. Can you tell me how you found this driver? There are four of us, do you think we can ride in the taxi and travel the same way as you did?

Thanks in advance.

rf413

Darwin Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

We have 6 more sleeps before we arrive in Sabah for our third holiday there - this time for nearly 4 weeks. Unfortunately, it would only be 5 more sleeps, but we have no choice but to stop in Brunei for a night on the way to KK.

I've previously had 24 hours in Brunei (for work) and couldn't wait to get out, so I have a blinkered and sour view of the place - but basically, I just don't like being told that I can't have a drink!

Next week I hope to get a different view of Brunei on our brief stopover and I'm going to try hard to look around the joint with open eyes and an open mind. But I definitely would never consider spending extra dollars on making a special trip to the place, particularly if it meant having one less day in Sabah!

The Government of Brunei spends a lot of money supporting and promoting its "tourism" industry - without huge success. That's probably an answer in itself.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Thank you for all your different view points! It always amazes me how the same place can impact so differently on 2 different people. Well, haven't decided either way yet, will wait and see.

Have just returned from a mad 5 day boat trip to the Abrolhos Islands (60kms off the coast of Geraldton in Western Australia) and will need some major R & R when we get to Sabah, so will see how we go.

But thanks for taking the time to respond! All this information helps people trawling for information.

england
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Hi rf413

I actually arranged my trip while staying in Sabah through wildlife expeditions who had a base at the hotel I was staying in.

Check out their website www.wildlife-expeditions.com as they actually advertise KK - Brunei tour packages on there so I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Good luck.

Sally

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Thanks Sally - depending on time we may have to save a trip to Brunei for next time.

Last time we visited my sister in London we flew Royal Brunei and actually changed planes there - it was a long wait - wish I'd thought to organise a tour of the city instead!

Now I know at least - and all thoughts and opinions have helped heaps!

Vancouver, BC
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

Thanks Sally, I will check out the website.

10. Re: Info about day trip to Brunei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:50 pm, June 19, 2007
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu