We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
372 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

Me and my wife are visiting Malaysian Borneo at the end of August and we decided to split our stay between Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Shangri-La's Rasa Ria.

Now the questions:

1. How much will charge a taxi from airport to Shangri-La's Rasa Ria? The hotel gave us a rate of 267 MYR per way very likely to be expensive comparable with a normal taxi

2. Do you think is a good idea to visit half a day KK and have dinner in the city? Are taxis easily to find during evenings?

3. Is Sabah malaria free?

For the moment these are my only questions. Probably more to come.

Thank you for having patience in answering my questions.

Miki

23 replies to this topic
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,502 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

On arrival at the airport after leaving the departure area go to the Taxi counter and buy a voucher. The cost is fixed at around RM 100.

For malaria just use a good DEET based repellent. It is not malaria free but the chances are very low. I have been travelling to Sabah and beyond for over 15 years and no malaria.

Rasa Ria runs a shuttle bus into KK several times a day. There are lots of eating places in the city and plenty of shopping. See FAQs on the right of the page. (Full internet view).

You realise the Borneo Rainforest lodge is on the opposite side of Sabah from Kota Kinabalu and requires a plane flight to Lahad Datu and then a 3 - 4 hour road trip in 4 wheel drives to the Lodge?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

As Bigw suggests, BRL is 3 hours overland from Lahad Datu - therefore its not a good idea to leave Rasa Ria and transfer to BRL, for one, you may be unscheduled transfer, the only way to get the scheduled departure is take the 06:30 am flight to Lahad Datu - meaning leaving Rasa Ria at 4.30am.

Its better to leave the Rasa-Ria on the afternoon flight, 4.15pm and stay the night at Lahad Datu, this way you still have the day at Rasa Ria - and have the full afternoon at BRL.

Also flights to Lahad Datu are approx Euro 100 more than flights to Sandakan, so if you are 2 persons - or more - its cheaper to twin it with a trip to Sepilok.

Rasa Ria > afternoon at Sepilok, overnight at Sepilok, overland to Lahad Datu (2.5 hours), then 2.5 hours > BRL.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

Hi bigw and thank you for your valuable answer.

Yes I am aware that I need to fly to Lahad Datu and then a drive in the middle of the rainforest.

We have booked everything including flights to and from Lahad Datu and also the villa in BRL and the drive to and from the airport.

The only things we didn't book are the transfers to and from SLRR and the day trips.

Miki

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

That got cross posted - by the way, take some long socks, much more comfortable, and just as effective as the leech socks they sell in the shop.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

2. Do you think is a good idea to visit half a day KK and have dinner in the city? Are taxis easily to find during evenings?

- From Rasa Ria - there used to be a shuttle to Shangri-La Tanjang Aru / KK Sentral - not sure if its still operational though - email the resort to find out - depending on how long you are staying at RR though - KK is pretty uninspiring IMHO.

3. Is Sabah malaria free? - According to FCO, the coastal areas are Malaria free - including Sandakan / Sepilok / Kinabatangan, but malarials are advised for Danum Valley.

Edited: 3:30 am, August 03, 2017
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,502 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

Enjoy BRL. I was there this time last year and in all my travels in Sabah it was the best place I have visited.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

The advice given by FCO regarding Malaria is very misleading.

Malaria and a more dangerous Denggi fever are not under controlled.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

Yes, the advice is a bit misleading - we always take anti-malarials when travelling to Sabah, especially for the kids - and definately for Danum.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,502 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

If you are considering anti malarias consult your family's medical practitioner. Only he/she knows what underlying conditions and medications you and your family may have or are using. We are fellow travellers not medical people.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!

mikiduta R,

KKIA airport to Rasa Ria will be about MR120/ £24 each way. As mentioned pay at the taxi kiosk at the airport exit.

The return price will be dearer as you will very likely have to pay a small charge to the Rasa Ria for them calling a taxi for you. You can avoid this extra charge if you start walking away from the foyer and wave any taxi you see. The taxis normally park in the carpark delivery area on the left before the foyer.

There is a shuttle bus from Rasa Ria it is MR30 each return fare.

The route is, Rasa Ria> One Borneo Mall & hotel complex> Centrepoint shopping centre in KK> Imago mall> final stop Tanjung Aru resort. Then the whole route in reverse.

It can be a slow journey around the KK centre at afternoon rush hour.

You can get on and off the shuttle at any of the points mentioned above.

So if you left Rasa Ria on the first shuttle you could get off enjoy KK and get on the next shuttle as it arrives at Centrepoint visit Tanjung Aru all afternoon and catch the last shuttle back. Or stay in KK and get a taxi back later in the evening.

You can use all facilities at the Tanjung Aru as you are staying at the sister hotel.

You can charge all you activities to your room including the water sports activities and any day trips out to the Islands.

Yes, there are plenty of taxis available throughout the city centre. Grab and Uber taxis are available but, they won't take you out as far as the Rasa Ria. (unless anyone can provide us with new information about Grab/Uber)

As mentioned about malaria, out on the West coast it is mostly mosquito free.

There are areas you should cover up use deet etc. Evening river trips, visiting the lowland jungle areas, not a problem on the higher slopes in KK national park, being near any stagnate water.

The Rasa Ria has a jungle attached to it on both sides so if your taking a evening walk I would cover up.

Reply to: Visiting Sabah at the end of August!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted