We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Borneo

Australia
Level Contributor
210 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in Borneo

Hi, My husband & I are looking to go to Borneo in May next year. We thought we would fly Air asia from KL into Sandakan, spend 5 nights there then fly to Kota Kinabalu for 6 nights & then to Bandar Seri Bagawan for 4 nights (We have relations there). We have never been before so would my amount of nights in each place be OK? Or should we extend one more than the other ie Is there more to see in one place more than another of these 3 places. If someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at what to do at all 3 places & it's mainly Orang Utans, Island Hopping & other wildlife or river trips that take our fancy. Don't really want to climb mountains or trek in rain forests.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Borneo

I would maybe be inclined to do 6 in Sandakan and 5 in KK but that is minor and it does depend on what you want to do. Either is absolutely fine. The reason - I would recommend if budget stretches 2 nights in Lankayan island (possibly after your jungle bit and before KK) - it is a stunning island. read reviews on here. I would also spend 2 nights in Sukau/Kinabatangan area for best chances of wildlife viewing. Then for a more guaranteed viewing, include 1/2 day trips to Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Sanctuary and maybe also Labuk Probosics Bay Sanctuary. You might also want to explore the Agnes Keith House and Australian War Memorial in Sandakan itself. Aside from this I don't think there is a lot to do in Sandakan so 5 nights in the area would be ample - especially if you don't do Lankayan or Turtle island. But stay in Kinabatangan for a couple of those nights rather than do a day boat trip from Sandakan itself. You have the time to do it.

Seeing orang-utans in the wild is much better than at the sanctuaries (Sepilok does great work but it can be crowded. Good for photos though and good to support their work but the experience isn't comparable. We didn't go to Rasa Ria but many who have visited both RR and Sepilok preferrred RR. You should be able to do both easily though!

Looks like a good plan though. Happy planning!

Australia
Level Contributor
210 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Borneo

Sounds great!! I will investigate those areas you mentioned & find out how to get there etc etc before I book anything. Do you have any suggestions for guides/boats/hotels for the areas we can reach from Sandakan?

brunei
Level Contributor
204 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in Borneo

suggest at least 1 nite up at mount kinabalu if you like mountains and parks.

4. Re: Holiday in Borneo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, April 25, 2011